now realising that not everybody is going to see the top image in this thread.
― Stevolende, Monday, 8 March 2021 09:24 (two years ago) link
Winne the pooh says
4 oz flourpinch salt1 egg1/2 imperial pint of milk
― American Fear of Scampos (Ed), Monday, 8 March 2021 09:31 (two years ago) link
If you have a sourdough starter going, I highly recommend using your discard for these (very nice and fluffy):
― perhaps I myself was the object of my search (PBKR), Monday, 8 March 2021 13:11 (two years ago) link
i've never written this down before. here's my current PANCAKE STRAT
- however much leftover starter i've saved in the fridge- about a pint and a half of yogurt/kefir/buttermilk- about a pint of plain flour- 2 tsps baking powder- 1 tsp baking soda- 1 tsp salt- 2 eggs- 2 tbsps cooking oil
0.5 think about heating up the skillet at some point
1. warm up the dairy product just enough so that it's not cold. maybe in a bowl in the microwave. maybe on the hob in a pot. your call! just don't make it actually hot.
2. thoroughly mix the leftover starter into the dairy product
3. in a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together
4. separate the eggs over a mixer/food processor, so the whites go into the mixer. put the yolks, on the other hand, into the bottom of another big mixing bowl. yes this is the third bowl you're using, four if you count the mixer. sorry.
5. turn on the mixer using the beater attachment to make egg whites
6. alternate adding the starter/dairy mixture and the flour mixture a bit at a time to the bowl with the eggs yolks already in it so that it's nice and smooth. feel free to add a bit of extra flour or buttermilk to get it to the right consistency
7. mix the cooking oil in
7.5 add whatever you'd like in terms of blueberries etc
8. fold in the egg whites
― Li'l Brexit (Tracer Hand), Monday, 8 March 2021 13:29 (two years ago) link
lol at the nytimes’ food guru mark bittman getting dragged on epicurious
― Li'l Brexit (Tracer Hand), Monday, 8 March 2021 14:18 (two years ago) link
― | (Latham Green), Tuesday, 9 March 2021 02:05 (two years ago) link
I’ll never understand what buttermilk add something. For example where is the Irish soda bread made with buttermilk?
― | (Latham Green), Sunday, 21 March 2021 18:59 (two years ago) link
The acid in buttermilk reacts with leavenings, gets bubbly, bubbles make fluffy.
― Motoroller Scampotron (WmC), Sunday, 21 March 2021 19:22 (two years ago) link
THAT TEARS ME APART
― | (Latham Green), Sunday, 18 April 2021 11:46 (two years ago) link
i don’t do the egg whites anymore, and i don’t heat up the yogurt anymore either. neither of them seem to make that much of a difference. i still use the leftover starter though. that really does make a difference, gives them a little tang and makes each pancake feel firmer, more substantial, even when fluffy.
― Tracer Hand, Friday, 19 August 2022 08:02 (one year ago) link
i am experimenting with low carb & keto recipes as part of my type-2 diabetes lifeand found this pancake recipe to be tastyhttps://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/protein-pancakes/#wprm-recipe-container-30195**whey protein was crazy expensive so i used plant protein & just added about 1/2 cup of extra milk to get the batter to the right consistency. the worst thing w other versions of this type of recipes is they behave so differently to “normal” pancake batter. heat settings are v much trial and error. they will burn like ~that~ if you don’t watch out
― terminators of endearment (VegemiteGrrl), Sunday, 9 October 2022 22:48 (eleven months ago) link