And the smell!
Pro tip: In my master class in food writing we learned to say "aroma", or for variety "fragrance", in slightly different circumstances "bouquet".
― Judge Roi Behan (Aimless), Monday, 8 March 2021 03:21 (ten months ago) link
Where does 'stank' fit in that continuum
― Stefan Twerkelle (Old Lunch), Monday, 8 March 2021 03:38 (ten months ago) link
1 1/2 C all purpose white unbleached flour1 1/2 tsp baking soda1/2 tsp salt
2 C buttermilk1 egg
slowly pour in about two-thirds of the wet into the dry, whisk to a smooth paste, add the rest of the wet.
ladle onto a 350 degree griddle, wait until the bubbles on the surface start to pop, flip, cook ~1-2 more minutes, eat
― I like signing up to dead sites (sleeve), Monday, 8 March 2021 03:43 (ten months ago) link
xp to OL. As an excellent descriptor for rotten eggs, certain overripe cheeses, and lefse.
― Judge Roi Behan (Aimless), Monday, 8 March 2021 03:45 (ten months ago) link
Mine is close to the Bittman recipe. (xp and sleeve's)
1.75 cups buttermilk2 eggs¼ cup melted butter2 cups AP flour¼ cup sugar2 teaspoons baking powder1 teaspoon baking soda1 teaspoon saltMix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, combine wet and dry and whisk out the lumps, thin it with a bit more buttermilk if it's too thick, 1/3 cup per pancake, nonstick skillet or griddle. Add a bit of vanilla extra and/or cinnamon and/or nutmeg, whatever flavors you like.
― Motoroller Scampotron (WmC), Monday, 8 March 2021 03:52 (ten months ago) link
dunno how I've escaped the idea of Joaquin Phoenix as Wolverine before. thought i saw that film. & half read the book
― Stevolende, Monday, 8 March 2021 09:19 (ten months ago) link
now realising that not everybody is going to see the top image in this thread.
― Stevolende, Monday, 8 March 2021 09:24 (ten months ago) link
Winne the pooh says
4 oz flourpinch salt1 egg1/2 imperial pint of milk
― American Fear of Scampos (Ed), Monday, 8 March 2021 09:31 (ten months ago) link
If you have a sourdough starter going, I highly recommend using your discard for these (very nice and fluffy):
― perhaps I myself was the object of my search (PBKR), Monday, 8 March 2021 13:11 (ten months ago) link
i've never written this down before. here's my current PANCAKE STRAT
- however much leftover starter i've saved in the fridge- about a pint and a half of yogurt/kefir/buttermilk- about a pint of plain flour- 2 tsps baking powder- 1 tsp baking soda- 1 tsp salt- 2 eggs- 2 tbsps cooking oil
0.5 think about heating up the skillet at some point
1. warm up the dairy product just enough so that it's not cold. maybe in a bowl in the microwave. maybe on the hob in a pot. your call! just don't make it actually hot.
2. thoroughly mix the leftover starter into the dairy product
3. in a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together
4. separate the eggs over a mixer/food processor, so the whites go into the mixer. put the yolks, on the other hand, into the bottom of another big mixing bowl. yes this is the third bowl you're using, four if you count the mixer. sorry.
5. turn on the mixer using the beater attachment to make egg whites
6. alternate adding the starter/dairy mixture and the flour mixture a bit at a time to the bowl with the eggs yolks already in it so that it's nice and smooth. feel free to add a bit of extra flour or buttermilk to get it to the right consistency
7. mix the cooking oil in
7.5 add whatever you'd like in terms of blueberries etc
8. fold in the egg whites
― Li'l Brexit (Tracer Hand), Monday, 8 March 2021 13:29 (ten months ago) link
lol at the nytimes’ food guru mark bittman getting dragged on epicurious
― Li'l Brexit (Tracer Hand), Monday, 8 March 2021 14:18 (ten months ago) link
― | (Latham Green), Tuesday, 9 March 2021 02:05 (ten months ago) link
I’ll never understand what buttermilk add something. For example where is the Irish soda bread made with buttermilk?
― | (Latham Green), Sunday, 21 March 2021 18:59 (nine months ago) link
The acid in buttermilk reacts with leavenings, gets bubbly, bubbles make fluffy.
― Motoroller Scampotron (WmC), Sunday, 21 March 2021 19:22 (nine months ago) link
THAT TEARS ME APART
― | (Latham Green), Sunday, 18 April 2021 11:46 (nine months ago) link