Another Debt Question!

Message Bookmarked
Bookmark Removed
Not all messages are displayed: show all messages (18 of them)
Yeah, phone them NOW! Or is there some problem with providing proof of earnings?

Chances are if you phone again you won't get the same person, and the person you speak to may be amenable to a repayment plan to suit you. For the sake of about £150 I imagine they aren't going to pay legal costs if you show willingness to repay it (I am no legal expert, but have had council tax arrears in my younger and foolisher days). The longer you leave it though the more you will appear to them like they are never getting their money back.

Please don't ignore it, it's the worst thing you can do. Since it's a relatively small amount, can't you get an overdraft/bank loan/cadge money off someone/sell something to cover it?

ailsa (ailsa), Friday, 18 March 2005 16:59 (fifteen years ago) link

And Rumpy, don't do it again ffs.

Markelby (Mark C), Friday, 18 March 2005 17:03 (fifteen years ago) link

Oh, I missed the bit about where you said that it was a solicitor's letter, I thought this was still the council, so ignore the bit where I said "they won't incur legal costs". However, writing a letter /= arresting your wages. Do something to stop this NOW. And, like Mark said, don't do it again. Letters shoved in drawers do not make the senders go away.

ailsa (ailsa), Friday, 18 March 2005 17:10 (fifteen years ago) link

Thanks. The whole proof of earnings thing - I can't really provide proof of all my outgoings, I'm paying back my mammie an amount I owed her and I'm paying money to an ex who now lives abroad to cover mutual debts.

I'm not in the position to get a loan or borrow from family or friends, I vowed never to do that again and try to sort out my own mess from now on in. Ha. What resolve she has.

Rumpsy Pumpsy (Rumpie), Friday, 18 March 2005 18:19 (fifteen years ago) link

"outgoings" = stuff you spend money on? I would imagine that a cobbled-together stack of bills/receipts showing what a representative week looks like would do the trick. or even just an estimation. have you tried asking them?

Tracer Hand (tracerhand), Friday, 18 March 2005 18:39 (fifteen years ago) link

Right, well you are going to have to bite the bullet and phone the solicitor and tell them what you can pay, how you intend to pay the rest AND STICK TO IT.

Proof of earnings usually don't ask for receipts/things like that. As I remember, they just ask what do you owe on other loans, rent/mortgage, what are your monthly phone/gas/lecky bills, how much to you spend on shopping, that sort of thing. Stick a few quid on each of the estimated ones, and let them see your payslips/a letter from your employer.

Stupid question - do you have a credit card? Can you put it on that, then transfer to an interest free one?

ailsa (ailsa), Friday, 18 March 2005 19:06 (fifteen years ago) link

Move to Southern France like Keith Richards.

andy --, Friday, 18 March 2005 19:30 (fifteen years ago) link

No credit card, probably for the best, eh? I'm a useless pig. I'll have to phone them on monday, drinking wine to compensate. Will tell y'all how it goes on monday.

Rumpsy Pumpsy (Rumpie), Friday, 18 March 2005 19:32 (fifteen years ago) link

one year passes...
Anyone know anything about council tax debt liability? Two nice people I know were until recently living with a thieving idiot. He didn't pay council tax as he was on benefits. Not long after they got rid of him, the council found out he'd been cheating on his claim, and sent my nice people a new MUCH BIGGER bill, now including six months of his share previously covered by benefit.

According to the council, they are liable to pay his share, which seems preposterous to me. If anyone I shared a flat with in the past turn out to have been a benefit fraudster, can the debt collectors come looking for me?

Anyway, is it actually likely that they are really going to be forced to pay for him?

Eyeball Kicks (Eyeball Kicks), Thursday, 26 October 2006 13:27 (thirteen years ago) link

Who owned the property? AFAIK, it's the landlord who has responsibility in a flat-share. Whose name was on the council tax bills?

ailsa (ailsa), Friday, 27 October 2006 12:04 (thirteen years ago) link

The internet says that in flat-shares where each person has an individual contract for a room then the responsibility is the landlord's; the tenants are collectively responsible where there is a joint contract covering the whole property, which is the case here. This seems straightforward, and even sensible.

In this case, the original council tax bill, with the three names on it, included a deduction of a third for this guy's council tax benefit. So two people shared the remainder. Now, just after he's moved out, a new bill arrives with the last few month's benefit cancelled. The Hackney phone people confirm there has been a problem with the claim, but refuse to go into detail because they can't discuss someone else's benefit. They did say that the remaining tenants are jointly liable for the money.

This seems ridiculous to me because the problem can only have been either a) the council's error, in which case they can get stuffed, or b) a fraudulent claim (highly likely) in which case they should call the police or chase after the claimant themselves, rather than pestering the people who actually bothered to pay their share. As I said, I don't think they can legally demand this money, otherwise everyone who's shared a property is liable for the behaviour of all their former flatmates.

Eyeball Kicks (Eyeball Kicks), Friday, 27 October 2006 12:35 (thirteen years ago) link

is your name on the bill anywhere?

if not, you only just moved there just last week.

this is how you should do things for rental properties

A) have your payslips, bank statements sent to your parents address. this is your official address. make sure you stay on the electoral register there also. you might even want to appear on the council tax bill there

B) all bills at the property you rent must not have your name on them. it really doesnt matter who's name is on them. make names up. david hamilton is a good one, dudley richards another, but it really doesnt matter. you can put anyones name on a bill, they really dont care. same for the council tax. it really doesnt matter, just make sure your name is never on there

c) make sure the bills are paid, this way lies the least trouble. but, in rental properties problems arise, you are not responsible, and, whats more, you have proof you live somewhere else

-- (688), Friday, 27 October 2006 13:00 (thirteen years ago) link

also, this way, when you leave, nothing follows you. after all, you were never there

-- (688), Friday, 27 October 2006 13:01 (thirteen years ago) link

three years pass...

Has anyone dealt with a legit debt relief/debt management company?

I have ~18k in credit card debt, and make less than $20k/year. I'm working on selling everything I don't need, but it's still going to be a slog to pay it off and start over. I'm not behind on anything, and unless business bottoms out completely I should be floating for the foreseeable future.
I was thinking about contacting a company that the NFCC recommends to speed the process of paying it all off - but I'm not sure how much I'd potentially save in exchange for the hit on my credit score.

FIST FIGHT! FIST FIGHT! FIST FIGHT IN THE PARKING LOT! (milo z), Tuesday, 16 March 2010 20:05 (ten years ago) link

I don't know a good one, but I had a not-great experience with The Credit Counseling Foundation (based in Florida). They charged extra to make your payments electronically and failed to make payments on time several times in the 3 years I used them, negatively impacting my credit rating even more. They did get the interest rates lowered on several cards, but with the up-front payment they required and the additional fees they charged ($35/month service fee), I really don't think they saved me any money.

If you are thinking about trying to do it yourself with a consolidation loan to pay things off, I can highly recommend

Jaq, Tuesday, 16 March 2010 20:32 (ten years ago) link

You must be logged in to post. Please either login here, or if you are not registered, you may register here.