So says Spotify ...
Overall, predicting the Songs of Summer is a full a team effort. We look for:
- Songs on an upward trajectory: Recent hits played more and more with no sign of slowing down are likely to carry that momentum into the summer.
- Songs with strong engagement in key Spotify playlists: How well a song is doing in influential playlists (are listeners saving it and not skipping it?) gives us a good indication of hit potential.
- Songs with strong chart performance: We can see how a track is performing in relation to all others through our charts - if it rises to the top, it will rise with the summer heat.
- Songs with momentum driving them: If an artist is getting ready to tour, drop a new album, or if the song is highly anticipated, it’s more likely to command playlists.
- Songs generating buzz: Is it making headlines for being the first of its kind, particularly relevant, or created by an up-and-coming artist? (Think Childish Gambino’s “This Is America.”) Those factors will probably continue to drive its success.
- Songs that just sound like summer: Is it beach, poolside, or backyard-party-worthy? We know ‘em when we hear ‘em.
- Songs that our gut tells us to go for: We go with our instincts. Some songs just have that inexplicable summer magic.
|Ella Mai, "Boo'd Up"||7|
|Ariana Grande, "No Tears Left To Cry"||7|
|Calvin Harris feat. Dua Lipa, "One Kiss"||5|
|Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin, "I Like It"||2|
|Khalid, 6LACK & Ty Dolla $ign, "OTW"||2|
|Childish Gambino, "This is America"||2|
|Pharrell Williams & Camila Cabello, "Sangria Wine"||1|
|Drake, "Nice for What"||1|
|Clean Bandit feat. Demi Lovato, "Solo"||0|
|AJR, "Burn the House Down"||0|
|Post Malone feat. Nicki Minaj, "Ball for Me"||0|
|KYLE feat. Kehlani, "Playinwitme"||0|
|Bad Wolves, "Zombie"||0|
|Thomas Rhett, "Life Changes"||0|
|Shawn Mendes feat. Khalid, "Youth"||0|
― the blimp of the perverse (Eric H.), Thursday, 31 May 2018 16:35 (two weeks ago)