Like last year, Rough Trade seems to be the first list out of the gate. There's 100 in the list, top 10 here:
1. Temples - Sun Structures2. The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream3. Todd Terje - It's Album Time4. Metronomy - Love Letters5. Little Dragon - Nabuma Rubberband6. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness7. Liars - Mess8. Millie and Andrea - Drop the Vowels9. The Delines - Colfax10. Sun Kil Moon - Benji
― Johnny Fever, Saturday, 15 November 2014 14:58 (seven years ago) link
(*FKA twigs watch: #37)
Ha, you beat me to it. I totally forgot there was a Metronomy album.
11. Total Control - Typical System12. Caribou - Our Love13. Goat - Commune14. Wildest Dreams - Wildest Dreams15. Alvvays - Alvvays16. Royal Blood - Royal Blood17. Honeyblood - Honeyblood18. Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings - Give the People What They Want19. Ty Segall - Manipulator20. Jack White - Lazaretto21. Mac DeMarco - Salad Days22. Neneh Cherry - Blank Project23. Warpaint - Warpaint24. Tom the Lion - Sleep25. Fredie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata26. Arca - Xen27. Avi Buffalo - At Best Cuckold28. Ultimate Painting - Ultimate Painting29. Jungle - Jungle30. The Wytches - Annabel Dream Reader31. Hookworms - The Hum32. Benjamin Booker - Benjamin Booker33. Future Islands - Singles34. The Amazing Snakeheads - Amphetamine Ballads35. Aphex Twin - Syro36. Swans - To Be Kind37. FKA twigs - LP138. Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit39. Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music40. Sharon Van Etten - Are We There41. The Rails - Fair Warning42. Allah-Las - Worship the Sun43. Protomartyr - Under Color of Official Right44. Beck - Morning Phase45. Real Estate - Atlas46. Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal47. First Aid Kit - Stay Gold48. We Are Shining - Kara49. Gruff Rhys - American Interior50. Eno and Hyde - Someday World51. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atomos52. Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots53. Lucinda Williams - Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone54. Ratking - So It Goes55. Allo Darlin' - We Come From the Same Place56. Childhood - Lacuna57. Adult Jazz - Gist Is58. Keaton Henson - Romantic Works59. Lone - Reality Testing60. Jamie T - Carry on the Grudge61. St. Vincent - St. Vincent62. Happyness - Weird Little Birthday63. Diamond Version - CI64. Owen Pallett - In Conflict65. Alex G - DSU66. Scott Walker and Sunn 0))) - Soused67. Haley Bonar - Last War68. Badbadnotgood - III69. Smoke Fairies - Smoke Fairies70. Vikesh Kapoor - The Ballad of Willy Robbins71. Lyla Foy - Mirrors the Sky72. The Bug - Angels and Devils73. Withered Hand - New Gods74. Asgeir - In the Silence75. Actress - Ghettoville76. Ariel Pink - Pom Pom77. Fugazi - First Demo78. Andy Stott - Faith In Strangers79. Captain Beefheart - Sun Zoom Spark80. Lost on the River - The New Basement Tapes81. Girlpool - Girlpool82. Ty Segall - Singles 283. Bo Ningen and Savages - Words to the Blind84. Mark Kozelek - Sings Christmas Carols85. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Give Us a Kiss86. Dans Dans - III87. TV on the Radio - Seeds88. Thompson - Family89. David J Roch - A Cynic, A Realist, An Undertaker90. Robert Wyatt - Different Every Time - Ex Machina - Benign Dictatorships91. Bryan Ferry - Avonmore92. David Bowie - Nothing Has Changed93. Einsturzende Neubauten - Lament94. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Cellophane95. Machinedrum - Vapor City Archives96. David Bowie - "Sue (Or In A Season of Crime)" single97. Various Artists - Slowly Exploding 10 Years of Perc Trax98. Jason McNiff and the Lone Malones - God Knows Why We Dream99. Shit - Feeding Time100. Adrian Younge - Black Dynamite OST
― Fastnbulbous, Saturday, 15 November 2014 15:47 (seven years ago) link
Bowie and Ferry albums and no 1989 suggests camp tri-a-tue-hard is still in session
― Bringing the mosh (Jimmy The Mod Awaits The Return Of His Beloved), Saturday, 15 November 2014 15:54 (seven years ago) link
I love lists and list season, but 100 is too many. Should be a global rule to stop at like 50 or less.
― alpine static, Saturday, 15 November 2014 21:51 (seven years ago) link
the fucking kozelek Christmas album is on there, instantly invalidated
― give kawhi his damn eyedrops (slothroprhymes), Saturday, 15 November 2014 23:10 (seven years ago) link
that metronomy album was so so boring
― uxorious gazumping (monotony), Saturday, 15 November 2014 23:53 (seven years ago) link
you should switch names with them!
― LIKE If you are against racism (omar little), Sunday, 16 November 2014 00:04 (seven years ago) link
that is a terrible list, but I do love that angel olsen record
― john wahey (NickB), Sunday, 16 November 2014 00:23 (seven years ago) link
94. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Cellophane
^ the fuck is this bollocks?
― john wahey (NickB), Sunday, 16 November 2014 00:25 (seven years ago) link
― EZ Snappin, Sunday, 16 November 2014 01:20 (seven years ago) link
― john wahey (NickB), Sunday, 16 November 2014 01:28 (seven years ago) link
why? cuz of the dumb name?
― alpine static, Sunday, 16 November 2014 02:58 (seven years ago) link
geelong pride for king gizzard
― uxorious gazumping (monotony), Sunday, 16 November 2014 06:15 (seven years ago) link
Wow is it already that time??!
― livid in America (Drugs A. Money), Sunday, 16 November 2014 08:21 (seven years ago) link
gentlemen are we are ready to receive some of the most important lists of this quarter? i can't wait to see how the professional buffs can basically just "tell it like it is" and knock it out of the park with some real best lists of the final quarter
this is a great opportunity to honor the buffs without which are making us hear so much new music, especially with social media making it so much faster, and streaming. we need to let them know "hey, we're listening"
but lets be honest, the real highlight of this season is what we we can't wait for, is how the pitchfork boys will basically take the list season to new heights. it doesnt get more better than this my liege - go get 'em boys
― fuhgeddaboudit! (missingNO), Sunday, 16 November 2014 10:53 (seven years ago) link
I too remember being young, when sarcasm was like a new shiny toy.
― Fastnbulbous, Sunday, 16 November 2014 16:02 (seven years ago) link
Weird Top 10. I normally like Metronomy, Little Dragon and Todd Terje but thought all those albums missed the mark.
― Re-Make/Re-Model, Sunday, 16 November 2014 16:05 (seven years ago) link
I don't listen to the Terje as much as I thought I would, but it's fine. I tried the others once each and never went back to them. I used to actually like both of those bands too.
― Johnny Fever, Sunday, 16 November 2014 16:11 (seven years ago) link
It's also odd to see a list from record store employees that's nearly 100% free of metal and heavy rock.
― Fastnbulbous, Sunday, 16 November 2014 16:17 (seven years ago) link
Leave Turkington alone.. let him do his thing.
― braunld (Lowell N. Behold'n), Sunday, 16 November 2014 16:21 (seven years ago) link
Rough Trade doing their best to discourage new releases during the last two months of the year. Also, rating Someday World instead of High Life is messed up.
― doug watson, Sunday, 16 November 2014 17:46 (seven years ago) link
They should call it "best releases since November 2013."
― billstevejim, Sunday, 16 November 2014 21:52 (seven years ago) link
Never heard of Temples before but I like the record on first listen. Very derivative of 60s psych but still fun to listen to.
― sctttnnnt (pgwp), Sunday, 16 November 2014 22:48 (seven years ago) link
Just based on a sampling, the Delines record sounds really nice
― Simon H., Sunday, 16 November 2014 22:56 (seven years ago) link
Albums I rate from the RT list: War On Drugs, Todd Terje (in parts), The Delines, Caribou, Goat, Avi Buffalo, Hookworms, Future Islands, Aphex Twin, Swans, FKA Twigs, Sleaford Mods, The Rails, First Aid Kit, Lone, Actress.
Top picks: War On Drugs, Hookworms, Future Islands, Swans, Sleaford Mods, The Rails.
― mike t-diva, Sunday, 16 November 2014 23:42 (seven years ago) link
I wish that War on Drugs album was more tightly crafted. I don't need 3-4 minutes of extra outro on everything.
― Johnny Fever, Sunday, 16 November 2014 23:46 (seven years ago) link
Songlines list came out at the end of October(!): http://www.songlines.co.uk/world-music-news/2014/10/songlines-best-albums-of-2014-announced
Only album I know off it is The Gloaming, which seems to be the breakout Irish traditional album of the decade (and is very good).
― legit new threat wrt to a norman invasion (seandalai), Monday, 17 November 2014 00:06 (seven years ago) link
The Gloaming's album is fantastic.
― mike t-diva, Monday, 17 November 2014 00:11 (seven years ago) link
i d/l'd that Robert Plant album but never unzipped ... is it "world music" ?
― alpine static, Monday, 17 November 2014 00:48 (seven years ago) link
Revolver, Classic Rock and Decibel lists might come out later this week.
― Fastnbulbous, Monday, 17 November 2014 04:40 (seven years ago) link
My old codger faves this year are Bryan Ferry, Rodney Crowell and Daniel Lanois and maybe Neneh Cherry and Meshell Ndegeocello if they count as old codgers at this point.
― Johnny Fever, Monday, 17 November 2014 04:45 (seven years ago) link
1. Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden2. At The Gates - At War With Reality3. Horrendous - Ecdysis4. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata5. Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire6. Thou - Heathen7. YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend8. Vallenfyre - Splinters9. Panopticon - Roads to the North10. Morbus Chron - Sweven11. Dead Congregation - Promulgation of the Fall12. Machine Head - Bloodstone & Diamonds13. Woods of Desolation - As The Stars14. Tombs - Savage Gold15. Krieg - Transient16. Iron Reagan - The Tyranny of Will17. Cult of Fire - मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान18. Gridlink - Longhenna19. The Oath - The Oath20. Behemoth - The Satanist21. Agalloch - The Serpent & The Sphere22. Autopsy - Tourniquets, Hacksaws and Graves23. Primordial - Where Greater Men Have Fallen24. Beyond Creation - Earthborn Evolution25. Wreck & Reference - Want26. Teitanblood - Death27. Trap Them - Blissfucker28. Young and in the Way - When Life Comes to Death29. Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun30. Eyehategod - Eyehategod31. Cretin - Stranger32. Midnight - No Mercy for Mayhem33. Thantifaxath - Sacred White Noise34. Lord Mantis - Death Mask35. Mayhem - Esoteric Warfare36. Cannibal Corpse - A Skeletal Domain37. Solstafir - Otta38. Execration - Morbid Dimensions39. Incantation - Dirges of Elysium40. Floor - Oblation
― EZ Snappin, Monday, 17 November 2014 21:48 (seven years ago) link
Amazed how low St Vincent is in that Rough Trade list. I think that'll be the big winner in magazine lists.
― Unsettled defender (ithappens), Monday, 17 November 2014 21:52 (seven years ago) link
Funny, Decibel is dismissive of many top doom releases in reviews, but they go nuts over Pallbearer, which doesn't fit their extreme m.o. at all (though I like it, just under the Electric Wiz & Witch Mtn, which they ignored). Their list in the new Doom special issue is, as expected, completely whackadoo.
― Fastnbulbous, Monday, 17 November 2014 22:22 (seven years ago) link
don't claim to know how the RT list is worked out but it's the aggregate of a relatively small no. of people right? so some big hitter or other getting short shrift isn't necc. that meaningful
― proper maoist (DJ Mencap), Monday, 17 November 2014 22:24 (seven years ago) link
what's noteworthy abt the Decibel doom list? semi-intrigued but no-one's uh leaked it online yet afaict
― proper maoist (DJ Mencap), Monday, 17 November 2014 22:31 (seven years ago) link
genuinely thought you were talking the Racoon Tanuki list and began to get excited
― So beautiful cow (forksclovetofu), Monday, 17 November 2014 22:40 (seven years ago) link
glad to see Thou that high on the Decibel list!
― alpine static, Monday, 17 November 2014 22:53 (seven years ago) link
Sister Ray store list
2.Mac DeMarco Salad Days
5.The War On Drugs Lost In A Dream
6.Caribou Our Love
7.Mogwai Rave Tapes
9.Temples Sun Structures
10.Freddie Gibbs and Madlib Pinata
11.Andy Stott Faith In Strangers
12.Paul White Shaker Notes
13. Mike Dehnert Lichtbedingt
14. Ratking So It Goes
15. East India Youth Total Strife Forever
17.Fatima Al Qadiri Asiatisch
20.Dean Blunt Black Metal
(And their best sellers)
1. Jack White Lazaretto
2. War On Drugs Lost In The Dream
3. Beck Morning Phase
4. Aphex Twin Syro
5. Warpaint Warpaint
6. Temples Sun Structures
7. Mogwai Rave Tapes
8. Sun Kil Moon Benji
9. Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey Going Back home
10. Wild Beasts Present Tense
11. Todd Terje Its Album Time
12. Swans To Be Kind
13. Black Keys Turn Blue
14. St Vincent St Vincent
15. Metronomy Love Letters
16. Horrors Luminous
17. Future Islands Singles
18. Mac De Marco Salad Days
19. Alt J This Is All Yours
20. First Aid Kit Stay Gold
― Unsettled defender (ithappens), Tuesday, 18 November 2014 10:38 (seven years ago) link
Interesting that War on Drugs, Mac De Marco and Temples are the only albums where the staff overlap with their customers. It's not as if the customers are buying One Direction and Coldplay.
― Re-Make/Re-Model, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 11:17 (seven years ago) link
Wait, there's Mogwai too.
that soundcarriers album was very nice
― nxd, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 11:18 (seven years ago) link
Yeah, love Entropicalia. Haven't seen much talk about it or the band. They Lways impress me.
― afriendlypioneer, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 13:02 (seven years ago) link
Yeah there's some good underdiscussed stuff on that Sister Ray list - Soundcarriers, Paul White, the Mogwai album was surprisingly decent too iirc.
― death in Skegness (seandalai), Tuesday, 18 November 2014 13:05 (seven years ago) link
from the rough trade list, id assume they dont stock anything that isnt indie rock, and if they do, they dont like them much. the sister ray list at least demonstrates that they do stock other genres, and that staff may actually even like those genes.
― StillAdvance, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 14:19 (seven years ago) link
Rough Trade's stock is a lot broader than that list suggests.
― Re-Make/Re-Model, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 15:06 (seven years ago) link
Here's a Spotify playlist of what's available from the Decibel list (missing are Woods of Desolation, Cult of Fire, Primordial, Teitanblood, Cretin and Midnight):
― glenn mcdonald, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 16:40 (seven years ago) link
and the entire Woods of Desolation record is streaming here:
top 3 metal release of 2014 for me
― alpine static, Tuesday, 18 November 2014 18:31 (seven years ago) link
i didn't listen to a ton of metal this year, barely any in fact - wow this is so dope
― give kawhi his damn eyedrops (slothroprhymes), Tuesday, 18 November 2014 18:42 (seven years ago) link
Uniqueness Watch: number of albums that don't appear in any other polls.(Polls with fewer than 30 entries are not listed.)
Soultracks 24/29 82.76%Textura 30/40 75%Hard & Heavy Old 35/50 70%XLR8R 16/30 53%NPR Jazz 24/50 48%The Quietus 22/50 44%The Wire 21/50 42%Classic Rock 19/50 38%Monorail Music 19/50 38%Kerrang 18/50 36%Rolling Stone Country 14/40 36%AdHoc 11/32 34%Boomkat 17/50 34%FACT 16/50 32%Mixmag 16/50 32%Phonica 15/50 30%Gorilla vs Bear 10/35 29%Guitar World 14/50 28%Norman Records 14/50 28%Tiny Mix Tapes 14/50 28%Slate 13/50 26%Washington Post 13/50 26%Rolling Stone Rap 10/40 25%Fasterlouder 12/50 24%NPR 11/50 22%Piccadilly Records 11/50 22%Sputnikmusic 11/50 22%Steel For Brains 11/50 22%Cokemachineglow 8/40 20%ILM Metal Poll 10/50 20%Louder Than War 10/50 20%Vibe 9/46 20%Waterloo Records 10/50 20%American Songwriter 9/50 18%Complex 8/50 16%Drowned in Sound 8/50 16%The Skinny 8/50 16%CMJ 4/30 13%Loud and Quiet 5/40 13%Consequence of Sound 5/50 10%Under the Radar 5/50 10%Decibel 4/40 10%Digital Spy 3/30 10%Terrorizer 5/50 10%The Line Of Best Fit 5/50 10%Popmatters 5/50 10%Rough Trade 4/50 8%Uncut 4/50 8%Variance 4/50 8%The 405 2/30 7%Flavorwire 2/30 7%Daily Telegraph 3/49 6%Drift 3/50 6%Gigwise 3/50 6%Mojo 3/50 6%Rolling Stone 3/50 6%Stereogum 3/50 6%Clash 2/40 5%The Guardian 2/40 5%Crack Magazine 2/50 4%Paste 2/50 4%Q 2/50 4%Resident 2/50 4%Rhapsody 2/50 4%Spin 2/50 4%Treble 2/50 4%Amazon 1/50 2%Pitchfork 1/50 2%Any Decent Music 0/50 0%musicOMH 0/50 0%NME 0/50 0%No Ripcord 0/50 0%Pretty Much Amazing 0/50 0%Time Out London 0/30 0%
― mike t-diva, Saturday, 3 January 2015 19:24 (seven years ago) link
Instead of just counting unique entries, you could calculate the average number of mentions for each list's choices.
― glenn mcdonald, Saturday, 3 January 2015 19:40 (seven years ago) link
Various Dusted writers' lists: http://dustedmagazine.tumblr.com/tagged/endof2014
― ticket to rmde (seandalai)
ooooh so that's where Dusted lives now
― Dinsdale, Sunday, 4 January 2015 07:25 (seven years ago) link
xp that's a very interesting metric!
― dyl, Sunday, 4 January 2015 07:33 (seven years ago) link
Hivemind Watch: number of albums in the Top 20 most polled (see above, Twigs to Spoon) that appear in a publication's Top 10.
Treble 10 (and 15 out of the top 16)musicOMH 9 Pitchfork 9 (and 15 out of the top 17)Popmatters 9 Pretty Much Amazing 9 (and 15 out of the top 16)Time Out New York 9 Any Decent Music 8 Consequence of Sound 8 Entertainment Weekly 8 The Guardian 8 No Ripcord 8 Q 8 AV Club 7 Resident 7 Under The Radar 7 Variance 7 Clash 6 Drift 6 Fasterlouder 6 Now (Toronto) 6 Rhapsody 6 Slant 6 Stereogum 6 Uncut 6
― mike t-diva, Sunday, 4 January 2015 15:40 (seven years ago) link
This might be too labour-intensive, given the way I've tabulated my data. But maybe.
― mike t-diva, Sunday, 4 January 2015 15:42 (seven years ago) link
Top 100 Albums of 2014 by Fragile Or Possibly Extinct (launched by former editors of The Silent Ballet)
100) Ilya Beshevli | Night Forest99) Beak | Let Time Begin98) Reliq | Metatropics97) Linear Bells | The Stars Will Shine96) Chasing Dreams | Even If…95) Torn Hawk| Let’s Cry and Do Pushups at the Same Time94) Eno & Hyde | Half Life93) Good Weather for an Airstrike | A Home for You92) Fait | Atmosphere91) Set and Setting | A Vivid Memory90) Objekt | Flatland89) N.Tesla | Lux Manifesto88) Kiasmos | Kiasmos87) Tapes | Finding86) Waking Aida | Eschaton85) This Patch of Sky | This Patch of Sky84) FourPlay String Quartet | This Machine83) The Echelon Effect | Pacific82) A Model Kit | Invention of Love81) NÄO | III80) Lykanthea | Migration79) SVK | Avernus78) Kangding Ray | Solens Arc77) Koen Holtkamp | Motion76) Irreversible | Surface75) Akira Kosemura | Embers74) Steve Gibbs | Adrift73) Cloudkicker | Live with Intronaut72) Tides of Man | Young and Courageous71) Erik Truffaz & Murcof | Being Human Being70) Johann Johannsson | The Theory of Everything OST69) Ryan Teague | Block Boundaries68) Chrome Sparks | Goddess67) Shield Patterns | Contour Lines66) Hauschka | Abandoned City65) Ecco | Freedom Summer64) Illum Sphere | Ghosts of Then and Now63) Arca | Xen62) Black Swan | Tone Poetry61) Sinoia Caves | Beyond the Black Rainbow OST60) Tired Tape Machine | Not Here59) Old Man Gloom | The Ape of God I & II58) Saåad | Deep/Float57) Darren Korb | Transistor OST56) To Destroy a City | Sunless55) Noveller & thisquietarmy | Reveries54) Yuki Murata | Gift53) Pray for Sound | Dreamer52) Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra | Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything51) Lucy Claire | Collaborations No. 150) Slow Magic | How to Run Away49) Degree of Arc | Halls in Hospitals48) Giles Lamb | Before the Birds47) Phantogram | Voices46) Fennesz | Bécs45) There is No Teenage Love | LAHEX44) Hot Victory | Hot Victory43) Misha Mishenko | Somnipedie42) Aphex Twin | Syro41) Bing & Ruth | Tomorrow was the Golden Age40) Flying Lotus | You’re Dead!39) Emma Ruth Rundle | Some Heavy Ocean38) Whale Fall | The Madrean37) Sleepmakeswaves | Love of Cartography36) Brooklyn Rider | The Brooklyn Rider Almanac35) Kayo Dot | Coffins on Io34) Mica Levi | Under the Skin OST33) Mermonte | Audiorama32) Iam William Craig | A Turn of Breath31) Christopher Willits | Opening30) Hans Zimmer | Interstellar OST29) Lowercase Noises | This is for Our Sins28) Rumour Cubes | Appearances of Collections27) Carlos Cipa | All Your Life You Walk26) Roll the Dice | Until Silence25) Mark McGuire | Noctilucence24) Lantlôs | Melting Sun23) Arcade Fire & Owen Pallett | Her OST22) Bruno Bavota | The Secrets of the Sea21) Loren Dent | Anthropology Vols. 2 & 320) William Ryan Fritch | Leave Me Like You Found Me19) Beware of Safety | Lotusville18) Jakob | Sines17) Poppy Ackroyd | Feathers16) Bohren & der Club of Gore | Piano Nights15) Tomorrow We Sail | For Those Who Caught the Sun in Flight14) Christina Vantzou | No.213) Christopher Tignor | Thunder Lay Down in the Heart12) A Winged Victory for the Sullen | Atomos11) Lawrence English | Wilderness of Mirrors10) Adebisi Shank | This is the Third Album of a Band Called Adebisi Shank9) Franz Kirmann | Meridians8) Odesza | In Return7) BADBADNOTGOOD | III6) Vicky Chow | Tristan Perch: Surface Image5) Kyle Bobby Dunn | And the Infinite Sadness4) Alexander Turnquist | Flying Fantasy3) Tycho | Awake2) Blueneck | King Nine1) Black Vines | Black Vines
― Dinsdale, Sunday, 4 January 2015 19:39 (seven years ago) link
― ticket to rmde (seandalai), Sunday, 4 January 2015 20:30 (seven years ago) link
Brainashed Readers Poll Resultshttp://brainwashed.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10301:2014-reader-poll-the-results&catid=80:annual-readers-polls&Itemid=97
― Dinsdale, Monday, 5 January 2015 07:30 (seven years ago) link
DJmag Canada:djmag canada20. Head High – Megatrap19. Flight Facilities – Down To Earth18. Knife Party – Abandon Ship17. Todd Terje – It’s Album Time16. Bassnectar – Noise Vs Beauty15. Skrillex – Recess14. Chromeo – White Women13. Leon Vynehall – Music For The Uninvited12. Plastikman – EX11. Lone – Reality Testing10. Caribou – Our Love9. Hercules & Love Affair – The Feast Of The Broken Heart8. Above & Beyond – Acoustic7. Theo Parrish – American Intelligence 6. 6th Borough Project – Borough 2 Borough5. Duck Sauce – Quack4. Moodymann – Moodymann3. Porter Robinson – Worlds2. Aphex Twin – Syro1. deadmau5 – while(1<2)
― mike t-diva, Monday, 5 January 2015 11:49 (seven years ago) link
Punknews:punknews20 Morning Glory: War Psalms19 Neighborhood Brats: Recovery18 PUP: PUP17 Lagwagon: Hang16 The Hotelier: Home, Like Noplace Is There14= Pianos Become The Teeth: Keep You14= Cayetana: Nervous Like Me13 Joyce Manor: Never Hungover Again11= The Copyrights: Report11= White Lung: Deep Fantasy10 Prawn: Kingfisher9 The Dwarves: The Dwarves Invented Rock 'n' Roll8 Chumped: Teenage Retirement7 Masked Intruder: M.I.6 World/Inferno Friendship Society: This Packed Funeral5 The Lawrence Arms: Metropole4 Restorations: LP33 OFF!: Wasted Years2 The Menzingers: Rented World1 Against Me!: Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Transgender Dysphoria Blues should be topping way more lists.
― MaudAddam (cryptosicko), Monday, 5 January 2015 15:16 (seven years ago) link
― some kind of terrible IDM with guitars (sleeve), Monday, 5 January 2015 16:24 (seven years ago) link
that shit reminds me of the holy bible by manic street preachers where i was all psyched like man this is gonna be an epic rock album based on all the stuff i read and i hear it and it's like ehh i guess i dunno seems like a solid alt rock record
― Wu-Tang Clannad (upper mississippi sh@kedown), Monday, 5 January 2015 18:15 (seven years ago) link
i'm not that into it, but i attribute that to my tastes and my probably being in the wrong demographic.
― mitt fleekwood (get bent), Monday, 5 January 2015 22:38 (seven years ago) link
That's what I thought about TDB too. (Though not The Holy Bible)
― Re-Make/Re-Model, Tuesday, 6 January 2015 11:56 (seven years ago) link
Hivemind Watch, Part 2.
As requested, this shows the average number of mentions for each list's choices. Thus if a poll had nothing but unique choices, it would score 1.Yardstick note: if a publication's Top 50 contained the exact Consensus Watch Top 50, it would score 30.22. For a Top 40, it would score 33.38. For a Top 30, 37.8.I've only listed polls with at least a Top 30, but all polls have been used for the calculations (cutting off at 50 for longer polls).
No Ripcord 26.18Pretty Much Amazing 25.66Pitchfork 25.6Treble 25.5The Guardian 25Time Out London 23.4Any Decent Music 23.04NME 23.02Under The Radar 22.88Stereogum 22.74Popmatters 22.6CMJ 22.43The 405 22.4Clash 22.03Consequence of Sound 22.02Spin 21.96musicOMH 21.8The Line of Best Fit 21.46Drift 20.62Mojo 20.58Paste 20.54Gigwise 20.2Rough Trade 20.16Crack Magazine 20.04Loud and Quiet 19.78Q 19.78Rolling Stone 19.74Fasterlouder 19.48Slate 19.08Rhapsody 18.96Uncut 18.42Flavorwire 18.33The Skinny 18.3Variance 17.66Amazon 17.12Drowned in Sound 17Sputnikmusic 16.8Resident 16.66Digital Spy 16.27Waterloo Records 16.16Cokemachineglow 16.03Daily Telegraph 15.51Piccadilly Records 15.32NPR 14.8Louder Than War 14.42American Songwriter 14.28Complex 14.24Gorilla vs Bear 13.89Phonica 11.18Tiny Mix Tapes 11.1Norman Records 10.2Mixmag 10.16The Wire 10.1Monorail music 9.76AdHoc 9.75Vibe 9.43FACT 9.4The Quietus 9.2Guitar World 8.42Washington Post 8.42XLR8R 8.03Boomkat 7.34Rolling Stone Rap 6.65ILM Metal Poll 6.48Steel For Brains 6.2Terrorizer 6.14Decibel 5.68Classic Rock 5.4Juno Plus 4.7Fragile or Possibly Extinct 4.02Kerrang 4Rolling Stone Country 4Textura 2.33Hard & Heavy Old 1.92NPR Jazz 1.92Soultracks 1.66
― mike t-diva, Tuesday, 6 January 2015 14:46 (seven years ago) link
That's great. Very interesting quantification of the centering of Pitchfork.
― glenn mcdonald, Tuesday, 6 January 2015 15:27 (seven years ago) link
Has-Beens and Underperformers Watch: commercially notable acts, or acts with previous commercial or critical form, who polled low in 2014.
Listed in 3 polls: Iggy Azalea, Tove Lo, George Ezra, Kasabian, Chris Brown, The Roots, Hercules & Love Affair, Ghostface Killah, Thurston Moore, J Mascis, Death From Above 1979, Willie Nelson, Pixies, Ray LaMontagne, Mark Lanegan Band, Tensnake, Cooly G, Skrillex, Plastikman
Listed in 2 polls: Lily Allen, Coldplay, Blake Shelton, Jason Derulo, 5 Seconds Of Summer, Smashing Pumpkins, T.I., Rick Ross, deadmau5, Ben Howard, Gaslight Anthem, Mirel Wagner, Karen O, Conor Oberst, The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Wiley, Roman Flügel, Deerhoof, Melvins, Tanya Tagaq
Listed in 1 poll: Calvin Harris, Neil Young, R. Kelly, Jessie J, Maroon 5, Robin Thicke, The Hold Steady, J.Cole, Aloe Blacc, Basement Jaxx, Kylie Minogue, Johnny Marr, Ben Watt, Prins Thomas, Tricky, Marianne Faithfull, Rumer, Bryan Ferry, Xiu Xiu, Jackson Browne, Lenny Kravitz, Deptford Goth, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Vamps, Foxes, Ella Henderson, Vashti Bunyan, Laetitia Sadler, Kiesza, Garth Brooks, Eels, Pulled Apart By Horses, And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, Kid Cudi, Keyshia Cole, Cher Lloyd, You Me At Six, John Mellencamp, Chrissie Hynde, Edwyn Collins, Sebastien Tellier, Michelle Williams, The 2 Bears, Rustie
Listed in 0 polls: Flaming Lips, Wiz Khalifa, Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga, Barbra Streisand, Paloma Faith, Olly Murs, Take That, The Script
― mike t-diva, Tuesday, 6 January 2015 16:14 (seven years ago) link
Trying to comprehend just how terrible a Flaming Lips album would need to be not to make a single list.
― Matt DC, Tuesday, 6 January 2015 16:20 (seven years ago) link
heh, i voted for tove lo, hercules & love affair, and kiesza on my p&j singles list. to be fair, some of these people just are not regarded as album artists, so they didn't show up on albums lists.
― mitt fleekwood (get bent), Tuesday, 6 January 2015 23:42 (seven years ago) link
Commercially notable acts, or acts with previous commercial or critical form, who underperformed so much they didn't even make the Has-Beens and Underperformers Watch list: Ben Harper (and his mom)
― Dinsdale, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 06:37 (seven years ago) link
I saw Florida Georgia Line's song "Dirt" show up on some lists, just not their album
― curmudgeon, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:41 (seven years ago) link
Jon Caramanica at the NYTimes put Aldean's album in his top 10:
― xhuxk, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 15:56 (seven years ago) link
Eh, it's not terrible. Better than the trainwreck that I expected anyway. But it's also a completely inessential release, which is why I think nobody wants to vote for it.
― ƋППṍӮɨ∏ğڵșěᶉᶇдM℮ (jon /via/ chi 2.0), Wednesday, 7 January 2015 16:15 (seven years ago) link
People vote through a lot of inessential records from legacy acts though.
― Matt DC, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 16:16 (seven years ago) link
Not really when its just a cover album though.
― ƋППṍӮɨ∏ğڵșěᶉᶇдM℮ (jon /via/ chi 2.0), Wednesday, 7 January 2015 16:19 (seven years ago) link
Xpost to xhuxk: Yeah, I tried only to number-crunch group lists - solo lists were excluded.
― mike t-diva, Wednesday, 7 January 2015 16:55 (seven years ago) link
Brainwashed reader's poll
― some kind of terrible IDM with guitars (sleeve), Wednesday, 7 January 2015 17:41 (seven years ago) link
Simon Cummings has published the annual best albums/EPs list on his 5:4 blog. A wide ranging list, lots of out-there stuff. And St. Vincent. http://5against4.com/2014/12/30/best-albums-of-2014-part-1/http://5against4.com/2014/12/31/best-albums-of-2014-part-2/
― cc: Peniston (Paul in Santa Cruz), Friday, 9 January 2015 22:21 (seven years ago) link
Radio Scorpio's list (from Belgium). Frequency is 106.0, hence the number of albums listed. (I had a vote in this)
1. Kassem Mosse - Workshop 192. Ariel Pink - Pom Pom3. The War On Drugs - Lost in the Dream4. Ought - More than any other Day5. Swans - To Be Kind6. Black Flower - Abyssinia Afterlife7. Arca - Xen8. Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty9. Gesloten Cirkel - Submit-X10. Thurston Moore - The Best Day11. Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 212. Grouper - Ruins13. Rape Blossoms - Ruinenlust14. Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything15. Jenny Hval & Susanna - Meshes Of Voices16. Old Man Gloom - Ape of God I/II17. D'Angelo and the Vanguard - Black Messiah18. Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire For No Witness19. Carlos Cipa - All Your Life You Walk20. Shellac - Dude Incredible21. Dub Thompson - 9 Songs22. Vladislav Delay - Visa23. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata24. MannGold de Cobre - MannGold de Cobre25. Triptykon - Melana Chasmata26. Head High - Megatrap27. FKA Twigs - LP128. Richard Dawson - Nothing Important29. Lewis - L'Amour30. Perfume Genius - Too Bright31. Theo Parrish - American Intelligence32. Edward - Into A Better Future33. Moodymann - Moodymann34. Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden35. Steve Gunn - Way Out Weather36. The Big ups - Eighteen Hours of Static37. Call Super - Suzi Ecto38. St. Vincent - St. Vincent39. Meridian Brothers - Salvadora Robot40. Todd Terje - It's Album Time41. Caribou - Our Love42. Perc - The Power & Glory43. Martyrdöd - Elddop44. Yvette - Process45. Andy Stott - Faith In Strangers46. Shackleton - Freezing Opening Thawing47. (Compilatie) More Jammys From The Roots48. Mica Levi - Under The Skin49. Caoimhin Ó Raghallaigh & Dan Trueman - Laghdú50. Morgan Delt - Morgan Delt51. Earth - Primitive and Deadly52. Clark - Clark53. Owen Pallett - In Conflict54. Gigi Masin - Talk To The Sea55. Fatima - Yellow Memories56. Traxman - Da Mind Of Traxman, Vol.257. Protomartyr - Under Color of Official Right58. Goat - Commune59. Hiele - Essential Oils60. Objekt - Flatland61. Vessel - Punish, Honey62. Marissa Nadler - July63. Bo Ningen - III64. Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else65. Mick Jenkins - The Waters66. Dj Quik The Midnight Life67. Flying Lotus - You're Dead!68. Ryley Walker - All Kinds Of You69 Yob - Clearing the Path to Ascend70. Young Widows - Easy Pain71. Ben Frost - AURORA72. GoGo Penguin - v2.073. Aphex Twin - Syro74. A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Atomos75. Total Control - Typical System76. (Compilatie) Native North America77. Ekoplekz - Unfidelity78. Mr. Mitch - Parallel Memories79. Perfect Pussy - Say Yes To Love80. Papir - IIII81. Motorpsycho - Behind the Sun82. Blank Realm - Grassed Inn83. Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band - Intensity Ghost84. Ibibio Sound Machine - Ibibio Sound Machine85. Gazelle Twin - Unflesh86. Future - Honest87. Juju & Jordash - Clean-Cut88. Nisennenmondai - N89. Hammerhead - Global Depression90. Eagulls - Eagulls91. Wireheads - The Late Great Wireheads92. Miaux - Dive93. Ian William Craig - A Turn Of Breath94. How To Dress Well - What is this Heart?95. BRNS - Patine96. Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 - A Long Way To The Beginning97. Strand of Oaks - Heal98. Sun Kil Moon - Benji99. Mono - The Last Dawn / Rays of Darkness100. Gunnar Haslam - Mirrors and Copulation101. We Stood like Kings - Berlin 1927102. Federico Albanese - The Houseboat and the Moon103. Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron104. Dj Dodger Stadium - Friend Of Mine105. Double Veterans - The Brotherhood of…106. Peaking Lights - Cosmic Logic
― maarten, Monday, 12 January 2015 17:55 (seven years ago) link
oh boy, lots of really good albums there
― Ottbot jr (NickB), Monday, 12 January 2015 18:03 (seven years ago) link
Wire Magazine Subscribers' List:
01 Swans To Be Kind 02 Scott Walker & Sunn O))) Soused03 Aphex Twin Syro 04 Richard Dawson Nothing Important 05 Grouper Ruins 06 Sleaford Mods Divide And Exit 07 Dean Blunt Black Metal 08 Actress Ghettoville 09 Valerio Tricoli Miseri Lares 10 Eliane Radigue Naldjorlak I II III11 Wadada Leo Smith The Great Lakes Suites 12 (tied) Flying Lotus You’re Dead! Oren Ambarchi Quixotism 14 Shabazz Palaces Lese Majesty 15 (tied) Jenny Hval & Susanna Meshes Of Voice Run The Jewels Run The Jewels 2 17 Ariel Pink Pom Pom 18 (tied) Earth Primitive And Deadly Kevin Drumm & Jason Lescalleet The Abyss 20 Steve Gunn Way Out Weather 21 (tied) Andy Stott Faith In Strangers Holly Herndon Chorus 23 (tied) Michael Pisaro Continuum Unbound Pharmakon Bestial Burden 25 (tied) Freddie Gibbs & Madlib Piñata Owen Pallett In Conflict 27 Carla Bozulich Boy 28 Ben Frost A U R O R A 29 Fatima Al Qadiri Asiatisch 30 (tied) Kasai Allstars Beware The Fetish Fennesz Becs
― sʌxihɔːl (Ward Fowler), Thursday, 15 January 2015 13:25 (seven years ago) link
Wire readers OTM
― this is just a saginaw (dog latin), Thursday, 15 January 2015 13:27 (seven years ago) link
Wire readers need to like FKA twigs more IMO
― Let me help you out Charlie XCX fan (DJP), Thursday, 15 January 2015 17:21 (seven years ago) link
and owen pallett could have been given a few bumps up.
― this is just a saginaw (dog latin), Thursday, 15 January 2015 17:26 (seven years ago) link
that poll was dumb - you got to vote for one album out of their top 50 (don't think twigs made their main list either)
― Ottbot jr (NickB), Thursday, 15 January 2015 17:27 (seven years ago) link
i cba voting in it this year
― Cosmic Slop, Thursday, 15 January 2015 17:37 (seven years ago) link
Pazz & Jop Top 50, with Consensus Watch placings in brackets.
1 (77=) D'Angelo, Black Messiah2 (5) Run the Jewels, Run the Jewels 23 (3) The War on Drugs, Lost in the Dream4 (4) St. Vincent, St. Vincent5 (1) FKA Twigs, Lp16 (40=) Sturgill Simpson, Metamodern Sounds in Country Music7 (21=) Taylor Swift, 19898 (7) Angel Olsen, Burn Your Fire for No Witness9 (20) Spoon, They Want My Soul10 (33=) Against Me!, Transgender Dysphoria Blues11 (45=) Ex Hex, Rips12 (77=) Miranda Lambert, Platinum13 (8) Flying Lotus, You're Dead!14 (33=) Azealia Banks, Broke With Expensive Taste15 (11) Sharon Van Etten, Are We There16 (15) Beck, Morning Phase17 (6) Aphex Twin, Syro18 (14) Sun Kil Moon, Benji19 (10) Swans, To Be Kind20 (33=) Parquet Courts, Sunbathing Animal21 (2) Caribou, Our Love22 (18) Lana Del Rey, Ultraviolence23 (91=) New Pornographers, Brill Bruisers24 (-) Wussy, Attica!25 (33=) YG, My Krazy Life26 (27=) Jenny Lewis, The Voyager27 (27=) Ty Segall, Manipulator28 (16) Perfume Genius, Too Bright29 (73=) tUnE-yArDs, Nikki Nack30 (12=) Future Islands, Singles31 (77=) Leonard Cohen, Popular Problems32 (9) Todd Terje, It's Album Time33 (129=) Rosanne Cash, The River & the Thread34 (154=) Charli XCX, Sucker35 (12=) Freddie Gibbs & Madlib, Piñata36 (60=) Protomartyr, Under Color of Official Right37 (30=) Cloud Nothings, Here and Nowhere Else38 (222=) Lydia Loveless, Somewhere Else39 (129=) TV on the Radio, Seeds40 (19) Grouper, Ruins41 (91=) EMA, The Future's Void42 (23=) Real Estate, Atlas43 (-) Bob Dylan, The Basement Tapes Complete: the Bootleg Series Vol. 1144 (23=) Jack White, Lazaretto45 (114=) Rich Gang, Tha Tour Part 146 (60=) Owen Pallett, In Conflict47 (222=) Nicki Minaj, The Pinkprint48 (26) Alvvays, Alvvays49 (100=) White Lung, Deep Fantasy50 (21=) Shabazz Palaces, Lese Majesty
Biggest gainers in P&J: Wussy & Bob Dylan, which weren't placed in any other group polls.
Biggest losers in P&J:Mac DeMarco - Salad Days (17 in Consensus Watch, 54 in P&J)Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers (25 C, 77 P&J)Wild Beasts - Present Tense (30= C, 131 P&J)Scott Walker & Sun O))) - Soused (30= C, 58 P&J)
― mike t-diva, Friday, 16 January 2015 12:11 (seven years ago) link
that run the jewels album is kind of dreadful, non?
― this is just a saginaw (dog latin), Friday, 16 January 2015 12:51 (seven years ago) link
― Hey Bob (Scik Mouthy), Friday, 16 January 2015 12:59 (seven years ago) link
1 Goat - Commune2 Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire3 YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend4 Earth - Primitive And Deadly5 Swans - To Be Kind6 Old Man Gloom - The Ape Of God7 Thee Silver Mt. Zion Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything8 Mastodon - Once More 'Round The Sun9 Einsturzende Neubauten - Lament10 Scott Walker + Sunn0))) - Soused11 Tombs - Savage Gold12 Electric Wizard - Time To Die13 Melvins - Hold It In14 Boris - Noise15 Eyehategod - Eyehategod16 Helms Alee - Sleepwalking Sailors17 Nothing - Guilty Of Everything18 Pallbearer - Foundations Of Burdon19 Music Blues - Things Haven't Gone Well20 The Austerity Program - Beyond Calculation21 Solstafir - Otta22 Tetema - Geocidal23 Watter - This World24 Serpentine Path - Emanations25 Today Is The Day - Animal Mother26 Knifeworld - The Unravelling27 Mono - The Last Dawn/Rays Of Darkness28 Triptykon - Melana Chasmata29 Menace Ruine - Venus Armata31 Obake - Mutations32 Full Of Hell & Merzbow33 Martyrdod - Elddop34 Broughton's Rules - Anechoic Horizon35 Trans Am - Volume X36 Ought - More Than Any Other Day37 ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - IX38 Okkultokrati - Night Jerks39 Witch Mountain - Mobile Of Angels40 Sunn0))) & Ulver - Terrestrials41 Philm - Fire From The Evening Sun42 Ides Of Gemini - Old World New Wave43 Kayodot - Coffins On Io44 Hark - Crystalline45 Black Bananas - Electric Brick Wall46 Bohren & Dr Club Of Gore - Piano Nights47 Floor - Oblation48 Thomas Koner - Tiento De Las Nieves49 Supersilent - 1250 Origamibiro - Odham's Standard
Not bad, there's plenty of surprises. I only guessed 10 of the top 20, and 19 overall. I need to investigate Music Blues, Knifeworld and some others.
I think I can guess at most of what would be in Rock-A-Rolla's top 20: YOB, Godflesh, Swans, Earth, Goat, Secret Chiefs 3, Electric Wizard, Wovenhand, Shellac, Aphex Twin, Einsturzende Neubauten, Floor, Boris, Bong, Alcest, Baptists, Helms Alee, SBTRKT, Liars, Sunn0))) & Scott Walker.Maybe top 50: Crippled Black Phoenix, Tombs, Lantlos, Thou, Sólstafir, Melvins, Mogwai, Cynic, Ides Of Gemini, Indian, Obake, Gridlink, Giant Squid, Black Moth, The Atlas Moth, Nadja, Midnight Masses, Eyehategod, Nothing, Pallbearer, Opeth, Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band, Moab, John Garcia, Protomartyr, Gold Codes, Carla Bozulich, Have A Nice Life, Conan, Esben And The Witch, Horseback, Fucked Up, Woods Of Desolation, Comet Control, Motorpsycho, The Soft Pink Truth, Trans Am...― Fastnbulbous, Friday, December 26, 2014 1:13 PM
Maybe top 50: Crippled Black Phoenix, Tombs, Lantlos, Thou, Sólstafir, Melvins, Mogwai, Cynic, Ides Of Gemini, Indian, Obake, Gridlink, Giant Squid, Black Moth, The Atlas Moth, Nadja, Midnight Masses, Eyehategod, Nothing, Pallbearer, Opeth, Chris Forsyth & The Solar Motel Band, Moab, John Garcia, Protomartyr, Gold Codes, Carla Bozulich, Have A Nice Life, Conan, Esben And The Witch, Horseback, Fucked Up, Woods Of Desolation, Comet Control, Motorpsycho, The Soft Pink Truth, Trans Am...― Fastnbulbous, Friday, December 26, 2014 1:13 PM
― Fastnbulbous, Friday, 16 January 2015 18:46 (seven years ago) link
It looks like another great issue BTW, and can be purchased digitally for just $4.99 - http://pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?catid=1037&category=Music&subcatid=230&subcategory=Rock&title=Rock-A-Rolla&titleid=768
― Fastnbulbous, Friday, 16 January 2015 18:58 (seven years ago) link
Thank you! :D
A bunch of albums on there making my ballot, a couple of them v high up!
― all that glitters ain't cyber gold (Drugs A. Money), Friday, 16 January 2015 19:08 (seven years ago) link
do we have a final version of the consensus watch?
― Vote in the ILM EOY Poll! (seandalai), Saturday, 17 January 2015 14:04 (seven years ago) link
By a more convoluted methodology, here's the consensus ranking from acclaimedmusic.net
1 The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream2 FKA twigs - LP13 St. Vincent - St. Vincent4 Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 25 Sun Kil Moon - Benji6 Caribou - Our Love7 Swans - To Be Kind8 Aphex Twin - Syro9 Flying Lotus - You're Dead!10 Sharon Van Etten - Are We There11 Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots12 Future Islands - Singles13 Beck - Morning Phase14 Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness15 Mac DeMarco - Salad Days16 Spoon - They Want My Soul17 Perfume Genius - Too Bright18 Todd Terje - It's Album Time19 Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence20 Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Pinata21 Wild Beasts - Present Tense22 Taylor Swift - 198923 alt-J - This is All Yours24 Ty Segall - Manipulator25 Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else26 Real Estate - Atlas27 Ariel Pink - pom pom28 Scott Walker & Sunn O))) - Soused29 Grouper - Ruins30 Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty31 Lykke Li - I Never Learn32 Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit33 Jack White - Lazaretto34 Metronomy - Love Letters35 Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal36 Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers37 The Bug - Angels & Devils38 Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues39 Jenny Lewis - The Voyager40 Owen Pallett - In Conflict41 Temples - Sun Structures42 Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music43 Arca - Xen44 East India Youth - Total Strife Forever45 Warpaint - Warpaint46 Ought - More Than Any Other Day47 First Aid Kit - Stay Gold48 Ben Frost - A U R O R A49 Alvvays - Alvvays50 tUnE-yArDs - Nikki Nack51 Neneh Cherry - Blank Project52 La Roux - Trouble in Paradise53 YG - My Krazy Life54 Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste55 The Black Keys - Turn Blue56 Interpol - El Pintor57 Royal Blood - Royal Blood58 Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams59 Jungle - Jungle60 Kate Tempest - Everybody Down61 Jessie Ware - Tough Love62 Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems63 Robert Plant - lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar64 How to Dress Well - "What is This Heart?"65 Young Fathers - Dead66 Mogwai - The Rave Tapes67 Actress - Ghettoville68 Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun69 Liars - Mess70 SBTRKT - Wonder Where We Land71 Banks - Goddess72 Dean Blunt - Black Metal73 YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend74 EMA - The Future's Void75 Manic Street Preachers - Futurology76 Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden77 Chet Faker - Built on Glass78 The New Pornographers - Brill Bruisers79 Strand of Oaks - Heal80 Goat - Commune81 Ex Hex - Rips82 Behemoth - The Satanist83 Avi Buffalo - At Best Cuckold84 Protomartyr - Under Color of Official Right85 Kindness - Otherness86 Morrissey - World Peace is None of Your Business87 Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything88 The Antlers - Familiars89 Afghan Whigs - Do to the Beast90 Kelis - Food91 Sylvan Esso - Sylvan Esso92 Clark - Clark93 S O H N - Tremors94 TV on the Radio - Seeds95 Merchandise - After the End96 White Lung - Deep Fantasy97 Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams98 D'Angelo and The Vanguard - Black Messiah99 Shellac - Dude Incredible100 Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Hypnotic Eye
― dancing cortical homunculus (Sanpaku), Saturday, 17 January 2015 17:03 (seven years ago) link
god help me, i added that singles playlist to my listening collection.
― shmup....smug....shmub....shmug.... (forksclovetofu), Saturday, 17 January 2015 17:26 (seven years ago) link
A couple more:
― Fastnbulbous, Tuesday, 3 February 2015 13:52 (seven years ago) link
Not critics but what.cd's users poll:
1 - Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 22 - Aphex Twin - Syro3 - Swans - To Be Kind4 - St. Vincent - St. Vincent5 - Flying Lotus - You're Dead!6 - D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah7 - The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream8 - FKA Twigs - LP19 - Spoon - They Want My Soul10 - Caribou - Our Love11 - Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata12 - Todd Terje - It's Album Time13 - Sun Kil Moon - Benji14 - Angel Olsen - Burn Your Fire for No Witness15 - Future Islands - Singles16 - Grouper - Ruins17 - Mac DeMarco - Salad Days18 - Beck - Morning Phase19 - Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers20 - Real Estate - Atlas21 - Jack White - Lazaretto22 - alt-J (∆) - This Is All Yours23 - Sharon Van Etten - Are We There24 - Ben Frost - A U R O R A25 - Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else26 - tUnE-yArDs - Nikki Nack27 - Taylor Swift - 198928 - BADBADNOTGOOD - III29 - Ty Segall - Manipulator30 - Ariel Pink - pom pom31 - The Antlers - Familiars32 - Perfume Genius - Too Bright33 - Iceage - Plowing Into the Field of Love34 - Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence35 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra - Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on Everything36 - Timber Timbre - Hot Dreams37 - Warpaint - Warpaint38 - Damon Albarn - Everyday Robots39 - Scott Walker & Sunn O))) - Soused40 - Clark - Clark41 - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - ATOMOS42 - Death from Above 1979 - The Physical World43 - Death Grips - niggas on the moon44 - Kiasmos - Kiasmos45 - Wild Beasts - Present Tense46 - Thom Yorke - Tomorrow's Modern Boxes47 - White Lung - Deep Fantasy49 - Shabazz Palaces - Lese Majesty50 - The Black Keys - Turn Blue51 - Clipping - CLPPNG52 - Ought - More Than Any Other Day53 - Behemoth - The Satanist54 - ODESZA - In Return55 - The Hotelier - Home, Like Noplace Is There56 - Alvvays - Alvvays57 - A Sunny Day in Glasgow - Sea When Absent58 - Jungle - Jungle59 - Mastodon - Once More 'Round the Sun60 - Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright in the End61 - Ex Hex - Rips62 - Tycho - Awake63 - Wye Oak - Shriek64 - Arca - Xen65 - Röyksopp - The Inevitable End66 - TV on the Radio - Seeds67 - Goat - Commune68 - Have a Nice Life - The Unnatural World69 - Parquet Courts - Sunbathing Animal70 - The New Pornographers - Brill Bruisers71 - Trust - Joyland72 - Phantogram - Voices73 - Owen Pallett - In Conflict74 - Damien Rice - My Favourite Faded Fantasy75 - Fire! Orchestra - Enter76 - Nothing - Guilty of Everything77 - Liars - Mess78 - La Dispute - Rooms of the House79 - Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE80 - Pink Floyd - The Endless River81 - First Aid Kit - Stay Gold82 - Leon Vynehall - Music for the Uninvited83 - RATKING - So It Goes84 - ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron85 - HTRK - Psychic 9-5 Club86 - How to Dress Well - "What Is This Heart?"87 - Sohn - Tremors88 - Alex G - DSU89 - Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams90 - Sylvan Esso - Sylvan Esso91 - Slow Magic - How to Run Away92 - The Body - I Shall Die Here93 - Glass Animals - Zaba94 - Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues95 - iamamiwhoami - Blue96 - Millie & Andrea - Drop the Vowels97 - Objekt - Flatland98 - Christian Löffler - Young Alaska99 - Thou - Heathen100 - Perfect Pussy - Say Yes to Love
― Dinsdale, Friday, 6 February 2015 07:33 (seven years ago) link
that should read 'users poll', not sure what happened