1. Gratitude2. Slow and Low3. Pass the Mic4. The New Style5. Get It Together6. Professor Booty7. Looking Down The Barrel of a Gun8. B Boys Makin' With the Freak Freak9. Car Thief10. So What'cha Want11. Time For Livin'12. Something's Got to Give13. 3 minute rule14. The Move15. I Don't Know16. Stand Together17. The Scoop18. Sabotage19. Putting Shame in Your Game20. Negotiation Limerick File
1.Check Your Head2.Licensed To Ill3. Hello Nasty4. Ill Communication5. Paul's Boutique
― how's life, Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:41 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Egg Man2. Get It Together3. So What'cha Want 4. Paul Revere5. Live At P.J.'s 6. Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun 7. Fight For Your Right8. Sabotage9. Shake Your Rump 10. Sure Shot 11. Hey Ladies 12. Shadrach 13. Root Down 14. No Sleep Till Brooklyn15. Putting Shame In Your Game 16. Time For Livin' 17. Rhymin & Stealin 18. Super Disco Breakin' 19. Lee Majors Come Again 20. In 3's
Five favorite albums:1 Paul's Boutique2 Check Your Head3 Licensed To Ill4 Hello Nasty5 Hot Sauce Committee
― Peppermint Patty Hearst (VegemiteGrrl), Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:44 (1 year ago) Permalink
(sabotage is not really my 18th favorite b-boys song. I just figured lots of y'all would vote it up the ladder.
― how's life, Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:47 (1 year ago) Permalink
TRACKS (bold didn't place)
Professor BootyRhymin' And Stealin'ShadrachThe Negotiation Limerick FileShake Your RumpSo What'cha WantHold It Now, Hit ItB-Boy BouillabaisseB-Boys Makin' With The Freak FreakDust Joint [Car Thief Demo]Jimmy JamesThe New StyleSure Shot - 19The Sounds Of SilenceI'm DownRock HardDis Yourself In '89 (Just Do It)Cookie PussFutterman's Rule Remote Control
TOP 5 ALBUMS
Paul's BoutiqueCheck Your HeadLicensed To IllIll CommunicationHello Nasty
― EZ Snappin, Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:49 (1 year ago) Permalink
46 ballots were sent, btw. I don't think I ever mentioned that up top.
― Johnny Fever, Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:49 (1 year ago) Permalink
didn't keep track of what placed but I know "the scenario" didn't
Hold It, Now Hit It Posse in Effect Car Thief Professor Booty The Sounds of Science The New Style B-Boy Bouillabaisse Rhymin & Stealin Body Movin' 3-Minute Rule Bodhisattva VowLooking Down the Barrel of a Gun High Plains Drifter Egg Raid On Mojo Scenario Gratitude Sabotage Intergalactic The Grasshopper UnitThe Negotiation Limerick File
― diamanda ram dass (Edward III), Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:53 (1 year ago) Permalink
1 – Gratitude2 – Hey Ladies3 – Sabotage4 – So Whatcha Want5 – Sure Shot6 – Intergalactic7 – Shake Your Rump8 – Lighten Up9 – Sabrosa10 – (Fight) For Your Right (To Party)11 – The Skills To Pay The Bills12 – Jimmy James13 – Super Disco Breakin’14 – Pass The Mic15 – Johnny Ryall16 – Song For The Man17 – Nonstop Disco Powerpack18 – Ch-Check It Out19 – Root Down20 – To All The Girls
1 – Paul’s Boutique2 – Check Your Head3 – Ill Communication4 – Hello Nasty5 – Licence To Ill
― Sick Mouthy (Scik Mouthy), Thursday, 17 May 2012 18:54 (1 year ago) Permalink
top tracks:So What'cha WantSure ShotPaul RevereSabotageRhymin & StealinNo Sleep Til BrooklynEgg ManHold It Now, Hit ItRoot DownFight For Your RightBrass MonkeyGet It TogetherShake Your RumpAlright Hear ThisShe's CraftyShe's On ItProfessor BootyWhat Comes AroundPass The MicGratitude
top albums:License To IllIll CommunicationCheck Your HeadPaul's Boutique
― that's why god made kokomo (some dude), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:01 (1 year ago) Permalink
hah oops left part of the e-mail header in that c&p
so did everything from Paul's Boutique place apart from the intro track...?
― Roger Barfing (Shakey Mo Collier), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:05 (1 year ago) Permalink
well and that get away from the BBQ bit
― Roger Barfing (Shakey Mo Collier), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:06 (1 year ago) Permalink
the only full song from PB that did not place is bolded in the ballot i posted right before you asked that
― that's why god made kokomo (some dude), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:07 (1 year ago) Permalink
Thanks Johnny. Loved this one more than most polls. My ballot - should have put money on the top three:
1. Shake Your Rump2. Sabotage3. So What’Cha Want4. Fight For Your Right5. Something’s Got to Give6. Get It Together7. Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun8. Sure Shot9. No Sleep Till Brooklyn10. B-Boy Bouillabaisse11. An Open Letter to NYC12. Egg Man13. Root Down14. Paul Revere15. The Sounds of Science16. Intergalactic17. Too Many Rappers18. Finger Lickin’ Good19. Song for the Man20. Remote Control
― Get wolves (DL), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:08 (1 year ago) Permalink
btw i love the deadpan tone of wikipedia entries about these songs
The lyrics made some references to popular culture, by mention: Phil Rizzuto, Rapunzel, Dolemite, Geraldo Rivera, skinheads, the song "Beat on the Brat" by the Ramones, and Doris the Finkasaurus.
― that's why god made kokomo (some dude), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:08 (1 year ago) Permalink
lol sorry al this thread moves to fast!
What Comes Around is great
― Roger Barfing (Shakey Mo Collier), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:14 (1 year ago) Permalink
Yeah, I was surprised at What Comes Around's showing.
― Johnny Fever, Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:16 (1 year ago) Permalink
It was the moment I realized they were great, not just punks with a lucky ticket.
I imagine this line being delivered by Jerry Orbach in a Beastie Boys biopic. "Word on the street was that these punks wuz washed up. Sure they got lucky once but this time they rolled the dice and it came up snake eyes. Heard they'd fallen in with a coupla west coast mugs name a the Dust Brothers. But then Fat Vinny played me Shake Your Rump…"
― Get wolves (DL), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:17 (1 year ago) Permalink
― that's why god made kokomo (some dude), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:17 (1 year ago) Permalink
Thanks for running this! My ballot:
1. Car Thief2. Gratitude3. Shake Your Rump4. Hold It Now, Hit It5. B-Boy Bouillabaisse6. The Move7. Intergalactic8. Shadrach9. I Don't Know10. Sure Shot (Large Professor remix)11. Hey Ladies12. Paul Revere13. Mullet Head14. The Negotiation Limerick File 15. The Sounds of Science16. Get It Together17. Cooky Puss18. Boomin' Granny19. So What'cha Want20. Sabotage
― scream blahula scream (govern yourself accordingly), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:17 (1 year ago) Permalink
The When I'm 64 bit is SO obvious now. What a dolt.
― Sick Mouthy (Scik Mouthy), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:18 (1 year ago) Permalink
The most ilm-consensus I've been for a while, and a fine way to bring up my 20,000th post to boot:
1. Sabotage2. Gratitude3. Shake Your Rump4. Fight For Your Right5. Hey Ladies6. B-Boy Bouillabaisse7. Ch-Check It Out8. In 3s9. Sure Shot10. Looking Down The Barrel Of A Gun
11. Intergalactic12. Sound of Science13. Triple Trouble14. Rhymin & Stealin15. Girls16. No Sleep Till Brooklyn17. Pow18. Stand Together19. And What You Give Is What You Get20. Car Thief
1. Paul's Boutique2. Check Your Head3. To The 5 Boroughs4. An Exciting Evening At Home With Shadrach, Meshah and Abednego5. Hello Nasty
― Ismael Klata, Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:29 (1 year ago) Permalink
wow you really bent over backwards to snub albums with "ill" in the title
― that's why god made kokomo (some dude), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:30 (1 year ago) Permalink
I'm surprised that "Time to Get Ill" didn't place anywhere. The only one from LTI not to show up in the top 60.
― intheblanks, Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:32 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Sounds of Science2. The New Style3. Intergalactic4. She's Crafty5. So Whatcha Want6. Sabotage7. Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun8. Shadrach9. Body Movin' (Fatboy Slim remix)10. Rhymin' and Stealin'11. Shake Your Rump12. High Plains Drifter13. Get It Together14. Super Disco Breakin'15. Lee Majors Come Again16. Root Down17. Three MCs and One DJ18. Girls19. Egg Man20. Professor Booty
― Exile in lolville (Alfred, Lord Sotosyn), Thursday, 17 May 2012 19:33 (1 year ago) Permalink
my ballot, nonplacers highlighted
No Sleep Til BrooklynRhymin & Stealin'Super Disco BreakinHold It Now Hit ItHey LadiesSure ShotIntergalacticSo What'cha WantBrass MonkeyThe Sounds Of ScienceThe Negotiation Limerick FileEgg ManShake Your RumpPass The MicInstant DeathSabotageI Don't KnowShe's On ItAliveNetty's Girl
― da croupier, Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:13 (1 year ago) Permalink
da croupier, you got your shit to-gether!
― how's life, Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:15 (1 year ago) Permalink
i could probably sing it by heart
― da croupier, Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:15 (1 year ago) Permalink
shit should've voted for Netty's Girl argh
― Roger Barfing (Shakey Mo Collier), Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:20 (1 year ago) Permalink
Tracks from best to least best:
The MoveAlright Hear ThisShake Your RumpI Don't KnowTransitionsThe Sounds Of ScienceSo What'cha WantIntergalacticSong For The ManFutterman's RuleBeastie RevolutionEgg ManGet It TogetherInstant DeathHeartattack ManPicture ThisJohnny RyallSon Of NeckboneAnd MeHold It Now, Hit It
Albums1. Hello Nasty2. Ill Communication3. Paul's Boutique4. Check Your Head5. Licensed To Ill
― Scary Move 4 (dog latin), Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:32 (1 year ago) Permalink
As short as it gets:
1. "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" (40)2. "Rock Hard" (36)3. "She's on It" (33)4. "Rhymin and Stealin" (30)5. "So What'cha Want" (28)
The truth is, Paul's Boutique was a letdown for me at the time, and from that point forward I only heard the singles, and not even all of those. But Licensed to Ill had a huge effect on me when it came out, and the first four songs above can still take me back to that moment.
― clemenza, Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:34 (1 year ago) Permalink
Pleased to see Futterman's Rule just bubbling under in the countdown
― Scary Move 4 (dog latin), Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:36 (1 year ago) Permalink
I've never really got the hang of Check Your Head. IllComm always struck me as a much much stronger record
― Scary Move 4 (dog latin), Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:38 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. pass the mic - 402. paul revere - 363. shake your rump - 334. brass monkey - 305. she’s crafty - 286. sure shot - 267. cooky puss - 258. looking down the barrel of a gun - 249. rhymin & stealin - 2310. sabotage - 2211. jimmy james - 2112. hold it now hit it - 2013. gratitude - 1914. mullet head - 1815. remote control - 1716. hey ladies - 1617. no sleep til brooklyn - 1518. car thief - 1419. triple trouble - 1320. fight for your right - 12
five fave albums1. dj green lantern presents new york state of mind2. licensed to ill3. check your head4. paul’s boutique5. ill communication
five fave videos1 fight for your right2 sabotage3 no sleep til brooklyn4 body movin5 hey ladies
― balls, Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:47 (1 year ago) Permalink
High Plains DrifterLooking Down The Barrel of a GunSabotageSo What’cha WantShadrachEgg ManHey LadiesShake Your RumpPass the MicGratitudeProfessor BootyFight For Your RightGirlsRhymin and StealinFinger Lickin’ GoodSure Shot3 MCs and 1 DJB-Boy BouillabaisseJimmy JamesShe’s Crafty
― kornrulez6969, Thursday, 17 May 2012 20:56 (1 year ago) Permalink
Thanks for putting this together!
1. Check Your Head2. Paul’s Boutique3. Ill Communication4. License to Ill5. Hello Nasty
1. Shake Your Rump - 402. So What’cha Want - 363. Root Down - 334. Rhymin and Stealin - 305. Professor Booty - 286. Car Thief - 267. Pass the Mic - 258. Get it Together - 249. Paul Revere - 2310. Gratitude - 2211. Something’s Got to Give - 2112. Sounds of Science - 2013. Sabotage - 1914. Eugene’s Lament -1815. Jimmy James - 1716. Intergalactic -1617. High Plains Drifter - 1518. Lighten Up - 1419. Flute Loop - 1320. Stand Together - 12
― chewy, Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:11 (1 year ago) Permalink
Shake Your Rump was my own #1, and has been since pretty much the first time I heard it. I may not have fully understood Paul's Boutique when I was 15, but I understood that Shake Your Rump was otherworldly great.
― Naive Teen Idol, Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:15 (1 year ago) Permalink
btw I saw this yesterday
― Dominique, Thursday, 17 May 2012 21:24 (1 year ago) Permalink
I submitted 5 videos but I guess I'm not super bummed if no one else did.
― billstevejim, Friday, 18 May 2012 04:29 (1 year ago) Permalink
In re Shake Your Rump (which was also my #1), lots of talk itt about great lead-off songs, but SYR is a perfect #2 song, a sucker punch after the drifting intro. You get that quick rattling snare fill, and then NOW I ROCK A HOUSE PARTY AT THE DROP OF A HAT...
― something of an astrological coup (tipsy mothra), Friday, 18 May 2012 04:38 (1 year ago) Permalink
I'm gonna tabulate the video votes soon. Just haven't done it yet.
― Johnny Fever, Friday, 18 May 2012 04:47 (1 year ago) Permalink
i didn't post my vid votes cuz I knew they were still to come
― Peppermint Patty Hearst (VegemiteGrrl), Friday, 18 May 2012 04:48 (1 year ago) Permalink
Thanks for running this poll, Mr Fever. It's been awesome.
― Sick Mouthy (Scik Mouthy), Friday, 18 May 2012 07:54 (1 year ago) Permalink
yes, thank you! the only silver lining about MCA's sad passing is that my enthusiasm for the BBoys has been completely renewed.
― Scary Move 4 (dog latin), Friday, 18 May 2012 10:59 (1 year ago) Permalink
Great work JF, really enjoyed this. 'Shake Your Rump' is a nice surprise #1.
1. So What'cha WantJimmy JamesLooking Down the Barrel of a GunShake Your RumpThe Sounds of ScienceFlute LoopPass the MicGet It TogetherCar ThiefGratitudeSkills to Pay the BillsSomething's Got to GiveHigh Plains DrifterSabotageRemote ControlEgg ManRhymin' & Stealin'Ricky's ThemeHey LadiesSong for the Man
1. Check Your HeadPaul's BoutiqueIll CommunicationHello NastyLicensed to Ill
― Gavin, Leeds, Friday, 18 May 2012 12:02 (1 year ago) Permalink
and then NOW I ROCK A HOUSE PARTY AT THE DROP OF A HAT...
Possibly the greatest single moment in their catalog. Sonic grenade.
― Badmotorfinger Debate Club (MFB), Friday, 18 May 2012 15:36 (1 year ago) Permalink
― Sick Mouthy (Scik Mouthy), Sunday, 20 May 2012 08:55 (1 year ago) Permalink
been busy all of last week, so i've only just caught up with this. terrific poll!
hey dom, where'd you see that mural? <3 it so much.
voted negotiation limerick file as my #1. when i was 17, i used to try and buy 2 copies of 12"'s and mess with 'em, and I played w/ NLF for hours upon hours and never got sick of it. still shit at dj-ing mind.
i fucking love the beastie boys.
― a hoy hoy, Thursday, 24 May 2012 10:02 (1 year ago) Permalink