SMH― dead-trius (Eric H.), Friday, February 24, 2012 9:58 PM (33 minutes ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink
― dead-trius (Eric H.), Friday, February 24, 2012 9:58 PM (33 minutes ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink
SMH AT U
horseshoe otm up there.
― seandalai, Friday, 24 February 2012 22:42 (1 year ago) Permalink
I can't really argue with the #1 - I mean it is one of the most perfect pop singles ever, but still, "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" shoulda won this. It's perfecter.
"Don't Stop" wasn't even my #1 though - I picked "Beat It", which was probably my favorite song in the world from age 8 to 10.
― wolf cola, everyone (thewufs), Friday, 24 February 2012 22:56 (1 year ago) Permalink
I prefer Don't Stop to Wanna Be but come on, I Want You Back is basically the perfect pop song.
― Homosexual Satan Wasp (Matt DC), Friday, 24 February 2012 23:10 (1 year ago) Permalink
I asked my coworker what the real appeal of Wanna Be... is, and she said "that's one of those songs where the singer catches the holy ghost in a way that can't be faked." I still don't get that from it, but I think I can see why people like it so much now.
― Johnny Fever, Friday, 24 February 2012 23:19 (1 year ago) Permalink
Yr coworker is OTM
― wolf cola, everyone (thewufs), Friday, 24 February 2012 23:34 (1 year ago) Permalink
amazing, you know oddly i didn't think people thought THAT much of Wanna Be Startin.. so glad that they do. what a TUNE.
― piscesx, Saturday, 25 February 2012 04:35 (1 year ago) Permalink
"Wanna Be Startin' Something" was my #2, and it's definitely my favourite MJ single of all time. Everything about is just perfect: the way it starts full-force (thus mirroring the chorus lyric), no intro or anything, with that ridiculously catchy bassline; the way the verses just repeat the same things over and over again, but the way Michael emotes them manages to give each line poignancy; the way the production and arranging on the tune is so impeccable, so aurally pleasing it practically shines; the oddball lyrical injections only MJ could pull of so convincingly ("you're a vegetable", wtf?); the mama-se mama-sa mama mako-ssa coda that (controversy ahoy!) he pulls off with more soul than Manu Dibango ever did in the original. I just love every second of this tune!
― Tuomas, Saturday, 25 February 2012 13:40 (1 year ago) Permalink
the mama-se mama-sa mama mako-ssa coda that (controversy ahoy!) he pulls off with more soul than Manu Dibango ever did in the original.
tbf, I don't feel like that part of the Manu Dibango song was supposed to be "soulful" in the first place aside from appearing in a song called "Soul Makossa," unless for some reason you think afropop + African folk chants are supposed to resemble U.S. soul music
― Big Mr. Guess U.S.A. Champion (crüt), Saturday, 25 February 2012 13:44 (1 year ago) Permalink
I didn't mean to say it should sound like American soul, but I'm always surprised how flat the mama-se chant sounds in the original, especially compared to Dibango's very funky saxophone playing. I guess that may have been intentional, but I still prefer Michael's version of it.
― Tuomas, Saturday, 25 February 2012 13:49 (1 year ago) Permalink
the only tracks on my ballot that didn't make it were "The Love You Save," "Bad," and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" (lol)
― Big Mr. Guess U.S.A. Champion (crüt), Saturday, 25 February 2012 13:51 (1 year ago) Permalink
01. If, Janet Jackson02. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, Michael Jackson03. Alright, Janet Jackson04. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', Michael Jackson05. Can You Feel It, The Jacksons06. The Way You Make Me Feel, Michael Jackson07. The Pleasure Principle, Janet Jackson08. Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground), The Jacksons09. What Have You Done For Me Lately, Janet Jackson10. I Wanna Be Where You Are, Michael Jackson11. Rhythm Nation, Janet Jackson12. Too Good To Be True (Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming), Jermaine Jackson feat. Michael Jackson13. Centipede, Rebbie Jackson14. Got 'Til It's Gone, Janet Jackson15. Dangerous, Michael Jackson16. Stranger in Moscow, Michael Jackson17. Human Nature, Michael Jackson18. Funky Big Band, Janet Jackson19. Get on the Floor, Michael Jackson20. Empty, Janet Jackson
― dead-trius (Eric H.), Saturday, 25 February 2012 14:12 (1 year ago) Permalink
<3 for Wanna Be Starting Something. that song triggers an early childhood memory, at age 5 or so, me being in the car with my parents coming home from the local pizza place, hearing this song, and vibing to it even though I barely understood the concept of music yet.
― Bo Jackson Overdrive, Saturday, 25 February 2012 14:26 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Got Til Its Gone2. Rope Burn3. Miss You Much4. If5. When I Think Of You6. Someone To Call My Lover7. Every Time8. Doesn't Really Matter9. The Pleasure Principle10. What's Its Gonna Be w/ Busta Rhymes11. You12. I Get Lonely13. That's The Way Love Goes14. This Time15. Lets Wait A While16. Alright17. Black Cat18. Velvet Rope19. China Love20. Go Deep
Thank you for this Jamie. This was one of the most fun polls we've had so far. We couldn't get the master list tho plz?
― a hoy hoy, Saturday, 25 February 2012 14:33 (1 year ago) Permalink
full ballot:Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'til You Get EnoughJackson 5 - Dancing MachineMichael Jackson - Rock With YouJackson 5 - Never Can Say GoodbyeJackson 5 - ABCJackson 5 - I Want You BackMichael Jackson - Got To Be ThereJackson 5 - Santa Claus Is Comin' To TownMichael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'Michael Jackson - Billie JeanJackson 5 - I'll Be ThereJanet Jackson - Miss You MuchMichael Jackson - Human NatureJackson 5 - The Love You SaveMichael Jackson - P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)The Jacksons featuring Mick Jagger - State of ShockMichael Jackson - Man in the MirrorThe Jacksons - Can You Feel ItMichael Jackson - BadMichael Jackson - Beat It
― Big Mr. Guess U.S.A. Champion (crüt), Saturday, 25 February 2012 14:36 (1 year ago) Permalink
<3 all-Janet ballot
― dead-trius (Eric H.), Saturday, 25 February 2012 14:45 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. “I’ll Be There” – Jackson 5 (40)2. “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’” – Michael Jackson (36)3. “I Want You Back” – Jackson 5 (33)4. “When I Think of You” – Janet Jackson (30)5. “Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough” – Michael Jackson (28)6. “ABC” – Jackson 5 (26)7. “Lisa, It’s Your Birthday” – Leon Kompowsky (Kipp Lennon) (25)8. “Escapade” – Janet Jackson (24)9. “Let’s Wait Awhile” – Janet Jackson (23)10. “Human Nature” – Michael Jackson (22)
I feel as if there was an orchestrated effort, perhaps led by Eric H., to suppress the Leon Kowpowsky vote.
― clemenza, Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:09 (1 year ago) Permalink
Jackson 5 - I want you backJackson 5 - Maybe tomorrowThe Jacksons - Show you the way to goMichael Jackson - Billie JeanJackson 5 - Life of a partyJackson 5 - Forever came todayMichael Jackson - Rock with youMichael Jackson - Don't stop 'til you get enoughJackson 5 - I am loveJackson 5 - Never can say goodbyeMichael Jackson - Wanna be startin' somethin'Janet Jackson - EmptyJermaine Jackson and Pia Zadora - When the rain begins to fallRebbie Jackson - CentipedeJackson 5 - Dancing machineJanet Jackson - When I think of youJermaine Jackson - Let's get seriousThe Jacksons - This place hotelJanet Jackson - EscapadeThe Jacksons - Can you feel it
― seandalai, Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:13 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Beat It2. That's The Way Love Goes3. I Want You Back4. You Rock My World5. Black Or White6. Darling Dear7. Smooth Criminal8. They Don't Care About Us9. Thriller10. Bad
11. Billie Jean12. I Just Can't Stop Loving You13. Dirty Diana14. Can You Feel It?15. I'll Be There16. The Way You Make Me Feel17. Say Say Say18. Blood On The Dancefloor19. Blame It On The Boogie20. Jam
― Ismael Klata, Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:15 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Michael Jackson - Get on the Floor2. Michael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Something3. Janet Jackson - Control4. The Jacksons - Can You Feel It5. Rebbie Jackson - Centipede6. Herb Alpert ft. Janet Jackson - Diamonds7. Michael Jackson - Morphine8. Michael Jackson - She's Out of My Life9. The Jacksons - Torture10. Janet Jackson - Escapade11. Janet Jackson - Pleasure Principle12. Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious13. Michael Jackson - In the Closet14. Michael Jackson - Beat It15. Michael Jackson - I Can't Help It16. The Jacksons - Heartbreak Hotel17. Janet Jackson - Go Deep18. Janet Jackson - Alright19. Michael Jackson - Jam20. Janet Jackson - If
― Exile in lolville (Alfred, Lord Sotosyn), Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:19 (1 year ago) Permalink
Let the ballots -- and the first-place showing of "I Want You Back" -- speak for themselves.
― dead-trius (Eric H.), Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:26 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough2. Can You Feel It - The Jacksons3. I Want You Back - Jackson 54. Rock With You5. Human Nature6. When I Think Of You - Janet Jackson7. Wanna Be Startin' Something8. Let's Wait Awhile - Janet Jackson9. The Girl is Mine10. ABC - Jackson 511. Wanna Be Startin' Something12. Billie Jean13. What Have You Done For Me Lately? - Janet Jackson14. Rhythm Nation - Janet Jackson15. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) - Jacksons16. Stranger in Moscow17. Off the Wall18. Remember the Time19. PYT (Pretty Young Thing)20. What Have You Done For Me Lately - Janet Jackson
― fun loving and xtremely tolrant (Billy Dods), Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:50 (1 year ago) Permalink
Janet Jackson - Nasty - 40Michael Jackson - Beat It - 36Michael Jackson & Janet Jackson - Scream - 33Janet Jackson - If - 30Michael Jackson - Rock With You - 28The Jackson 5 - Who's Loving You - 26Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious - 25The Jacksons - Dreamer - 24Rebbie Jackson - Centipede - 23Janet Jackson - What Have You Done for Me Lately - 22The Jackson 5 - Dancing Machine - 21The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back - 20Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal - 19Michael Jackson - Human Nature - 18Janet Jackson - All for You - 17Michael Jackson - Man in the Mirror - 16Janet Jackson - Love Will Never Do (Without You) - 15The Jackson 5 - (You Were Made) Especially for Me - 14The Jacksons - Blame It on the Boogie - 13Jermaine Jackson - Let Me Tickle Your Fancy - 12
Might look different if compiling today (or tomorrow or any other day)
― Johnny Fever, Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:52 (1 year ago) Permalink
Ha, just noticed that 'What Have You Done For Me Lately?" features twice in my ballot!
― fun loving and xtremely tolrant (Billy Dods), Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:57 (1 year ago) Permalink
― Bo Jackson Overdrive, Saturday, 25 February 2012 15:58 (1 year ago) Permalink
The only ones of mine that didn't make it were "I Get Lonely" and "Runaway"
1. I Want You Back - Jackson 52. Human Nature - MJ3. That's The Way Love Goes - Janet4. The Pleasure Principle - Janet5. Rock With You - MJ6. Empty - Janet Jackson7. Off the Wall - MJ8. Man in the Mirror - MJ9. Doesn't Really Matter - Janet10. Beat It - MJ11. Rhythm Nation - Janet12. Miss You Much - Janet13. Never Can Say Goodbye - Jackson 514. Alright - Janet Jackson15. Billie Jean - MJ16. Runaway - Janet17. What have you done for me lately - Janet18. Control - Janet19. I Get Lonely - Janet20. Stranger in Moscow - MJ
― horseshoe, Saturday, 25 February 2012 16:38 (1 year ago) Permalink
I'm disappointed "Morphine" didn't make this poll.
― Euler, Saturday, 25 February 2012 16:59 (1 year ago) Permalink
Janet Jackson - When I Think of YouMichael Jackson - Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get EnoughJanet Jackson - IfMichael Jackson - ThrillerJanet Jackson - Doesn't Really MatterMichael Jackson - JamMichael Jackson - P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)The Jackson 5 - ABCJanet Jackson - Someone To Call My LoverMichael Jackson - ButterfliesMichael Jackson - Smooth CriminalJanet Jackson - The Pleasure PrincipleMichael Jackson - Baby Be MineThe Jacksons - This Place Hotel (aka Heartbreak Hotel)Michael Jackson - Leave Me AloneMichael Jackson and Janet Jackson - ScreamMichael Jackson - Beat ItMichael Jackson - The Way You Make Me FeelThe Jackson 5 - It's Great To Be Here
― DNRIYHM NATION 1814 (some dude), Saturday, 25 February 2012 18:36 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Can You Feel It? - The Jacksons2. I Want You Back - The Jackson 53. Who is It - Michael Jackson4. If - Janet Jackson5. Leave Me Alone - Michael Jackson6. When I Think of You - Janet Jackson7. Centipede - Rebbie Jackson8. Walk Right Now - The Jacksons9. Human Nature - Michael Jackson10. The Pleasure Principle - Janet jackson11. Morphine - Michael Jackson12. Will You be There - Michael Jackson13. Stranger in Moscow - Michael Jackson14. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson15. P.Y.T. - Michael Jackson16. Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson17. Again - Janet Jackson18. Got Til It's Gone - Janet Jackson19. Let's Get Serious - Jermaine Jackson20. Butterflies - Michael Jackson
― Whiney vs. (BradNelson), Saturday, 25 February 2012 19:31 (1 year ago) Permalink
ship! way to also vote for "butterflies"! so groovy
― Whiney vs. (BradNelson), Saturday, 25 February 2012 21:32 (1 year ago) Permalink
yeah it's kinda sad it hasn't gotten its due as one of MJ's last great songs like "Stranger In Moscow" has
― DNRIYHM NATION 1814 (some dude), Saturday, 25 February 2012 21:43 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. michael - thriller2. michael - human nature3. michael - the way you make me feel4. michael - smooth criminal5. michael - billie jean6. michael - beat it7. michael - you rock my world8. michael - man in the mirror9. janet - miss you much10. michael - one day in your life11. michael - jam12. the jacksons - can you feel it?13. janet - escapade14. janet - that's the way love goes15. michael - don't stop til you get enough16. janet - if17. janet - alright (cj mackintosh & dave dorrell house mix)18. rebbie - centipede19. janet & herb alpert - diamonds20. michael - wanna be startin somethin disappointed 'you rock my world' didn't make it, mildly surprised 'diamonds' didn't.
― second only to popcorn (or something), Saturday, 25 February 2012 23:04 (1 year ago) Permalink
oh and 'one day in your life' ;_;
― second only to popcorn (or something), Saturday, 25 February 2012 23:05 (1 year ago) Permalink
1. Rebbie Jackson – Centipede2. Michael Jackson – Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’3. Janet Jackson – Together Again4. The Jacksons – Blame It on the Boogie5. Janet Jackson – Control6. Michael Jackson – Stranger in Moscow7. The Jacksons – Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)8. Michael Jackson – They Don’t Care About Us9. Janet Jackson – Rhythm Nation10. Michael Jackson – Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough11. The Jacksons – Walk Right Now12. Janet Jackson – Got ‘til It’s Gone13. Michael Jackson – Blood on the Dancefloor14. La Toya Jackson – If You Feel the Funk15. Michael Jackson – Smooth Criminal16. Michael Jackson – Black or White17. Janet Jackson – What Have You Done for Me Lately?18. Michael Jackson – Billie Jean19. The Jacksons – Can You Feel It20. Michael Jackson – In the Closet
― Tuomas, Monday, 27 February 2012 09:00 (1 year ago) Permalink
Did nobody else vote for my #2 and #3? Philistines!
Michael Jackson - Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get EnoughMichael Jackson - Ain’t No SunshineThe Jackson 5 - Hum Along And DanceMichael Jackson - Wanna Be Starting SomethingThe Jackson 5 - I Want You BackMichael Jackson - Working Day And NightMichael Jackson - Got To Be ThereThe Jackson 5 - SkywriterMichael Jackson - We’ve Got A Good Thing GoingMichael Jackson - Off the Wall
The Jackson 5 - Doctor My EyesMichael Jackson - Rock With YouThe Jackson 5 - Never Can Say GoodbyeMichael Jackson - Burn This Disco OutMichael Jackson - People Make The World Go ‘RoundThe Jackson 5 - Hallelujah DayThe Jackson 5 - I’ll Be ThereThe Jackson 5 - ABCMichael Jackson ft. Patti Austin - It’s The Falling In LoveMichael Jackson - Rockin’ Robin
― Jeff W, Monday, 27 February 2012 12:39 (1 year ago) Permalink
I don't think many people think of MJ when they think of Aint No Sunshine
― a hoy hoy, Monday, 27 February 2012 12:41 (1 year ago) Permalink
True, but they should! It's a great arrangement and a truly stunning vocal.
― Jeff W, Monday, 27 February 2012 12:43 (1 year ago) Permalink
How could I have not voted for "Forever Came Today"?!
― Bobby Ken Doll (Eric H.), Thursday, 1 November 2012 15:27 (6 months ago) Permalink
that's one of my favorite J5 tracks, though it's a Supremes cover isn't it?
― frogbs, Thursday, 1 November 2012 15:32 (6 months ago) Permalink
Yeah, but a most ebullient one.
― Bobby Ken Doll (Eric H.), Thursday, 1 November 2012 15:42 (6 months ago) Permalink